Alan J. Malter
Associate Professor of Marketing
Director of Graduate Studies (marketing PhD program)
2221 University Hall
- PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2000 (marketing)
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1988 (agricultural economics)
- AB, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1985 (economics)
- AB, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1985 (political science)
Areas of Expertise
- Marketing Strategy
- Role of Marketing
- Process Thinking
- Consumer Behavior including Online Shopping/Electronic Commerce
- Embodied Cognition
- International Business including Israel, Middle East, European Union, East Asia, and Africa
- Industry Clusters
- Marketing Strategy
- Global Marketing
- Marketing Research & Analytics
- Consumer Psychology (PhD seminar)
- Changing role of marketing
- Organizational learning and innovation
- Tacit/embodied/process knowledge in decision-making
- Measurement issues
Awards & Honors
- Member, Academic Council, American Marketing Association, 2012-2015
- Robert D. Buzzell Best Paper Award, Marketing Science Institute, 2005 (with Fred Webster and Shankar Ganesan)
- Winner and Business Marketing Doctoral Fellow, ISBM (Penn State) Dissertation Proposal Competition, 1998
- AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 1998 (student), 2010 (faculty)
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, since 2007
- Assistant Professor, University of Arizona, 2000-2007
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Maryland, 1999-2000
- Graduate Assistant, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1994-1999
- Consultant, The World Bank, East and Southern Africa Division, 1993-1995
- Reimann, Martin, Wilko Feye, Alan J. Malter, Josh Ackerman, Raquel Castano, Nitika Garg, Robert Kreuzbauer, Aparna A. Labroo, Angela Y. Lee, Maureen Morrin, Gergana Y. Nenkov, Jesper H. Nielsen, Maria Perez, Gratiana Pol, Jose Antonio Rosa, Carolyn Yoon, and Chen-Bo Zhong (2012), "Embodiment in Judgment and Choice",Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics, 5 (2), 104-123.
- Zhang, Haisu, Chengli Shu, Xu Jiang and Alan J. Malter (2010), "Managing Knowledge for Innovation: The Role of Cooperation, Competition, and Alliance Nationality",Journal of International Marketing, 18 (December), 74-94.
- Houston, Mark B., S. Ratneshwar, Lisa Ricci and Alan J. Malter (2010), "Dynamic Strategic Goal Setting: Theory and Initial Evidence", in Review of Marketing Research, Volume 7, Naresh K. Malhotra, ed. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing, 19-62.
- Rindfleisch, Aric, Alan J. Malter, Shankar Ganesan and Christine Moorman (2008), "Cross-Sectional Versus Longitudinal Survey Research: Concepts, Findings, and Guidelines," Journal of Marketing Research, 45 (June), 261-279. [Lead article]
- Kreuzbauer, Robert and Alan J. Malter (2007), "Product Design Perception and Brand Categorization," in Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 34, eds. Gavan J. Fitzsimons and Vicki G. Morwitz, Duluth, MN: Association for Consumer Research, 240-246
- Lusch, Robert F., Stephen L. Vargo and Alan J. Malter (2006), "Marketing as Service-Exchange: Taking a Leadership Role in Global Marketing Management," Organizational Dynamics, 35 (3), 264-278.
- Rosa, Jose Antonio, Ellen C. Garbarino, and Alan J. Malter (2006), "Keeping the Body in Mind: The Influence of Body Esteem and Body Boundary Aberration on Consumer Beliefs and Purchase Intentions," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 16 (1), 79-91.
- Ganesan, Shankar, Alan J. Malter, and Aric Rindfleisch (2005), "Does Distance Still Matter? Geographic Proximity and New Product Development," Journal of Marketing, 69 (October), 44-60.
- Webster, Frederick E., Jr., Alan J. Malter, and Shankar Ganesan (2005), "The Decline and Dispersion of Marketing Competence," MIT Sloan Management Review, 46 (4), 35-43.
- Kreuzbauer, Robert and Alan J. Malter (2005), "Embodied Cognition and New Product Design: Changing Product Form to Influence Brand Categorization," Journal of Product Innovation Management, 22 (March), 165-176.
- Rosa, Jose Antonio and Alan J. Malter (2003), "E-(Embodied) Knowledge and E-Commerce: How Physiological Factors Affect On-line Sales of Experiential Products," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13 (1&2), 63-75.
- Webster, Frederick E., Jr., Alan J. Malter, and Shankar Ganesan (2003), "Can Marketing Regain Its Seat at the Table?" MSI Reports, Marketing Science Institute Working Paper Series, No. 03-113, 29-47. [2005 Robert D. Buzzell Best Paper Award, Marketing Science Institute]
- Malter, Alan J. and Peter R. Dickson (2001), "The Effect of Individual Learning on Competitive Decision-Making and Firm Performance," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 18 (1/2), 99-117.
- Malter, Alan J. (1996), "An Introduction to Embodied Cognition: Implications for Consumer Research," in Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 23, eds. Kim P. Corfman and John Lynch, Provo, UT: Association for Consumer Research, 272-276.