Arjun is a PhD student in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources in the Department of Managerial Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He graduated from Xavier Institute of Management, India with an MBA in HR. Prior to his MBA, Arjun worked as a Consultant at PwC, India for 22 months. During that time, he gained first-hand experience of the challenges faced by a transnational organization in sustaining and developing a competitive cross-cultural diverse workforce while striving towards bringing a person-organization fit. This stimulated his interest in the area of organizational behavior and led him to conduct studies on cross-cultural employee motivation and psychological capital during his MBA. Coming from a culturally diverse background, his research interests, since then, have broadened to encompass diversity management, especially managing invisible identities in the workplace, female representation in corporate boards/top management teams, executive compensation, and strategic HRM.
MGMT 445: Organization Theory, Fall 2017
MBA 587: Enterprise Strategy, Fall 2016
Research & Publications
- Diversity & Inclusion: Board/TMT Diversity, Stigmatized Identity Groups
- Strategic HRM: Technology in HRM, Personality, Servant Leadership
- Corporate Strategy: Executive Compensation, Corporate Governance
- Mitra, A., & Sauerwald, S. 2017. ‘She’ against ‘Her’? The Downside of Status Threat. In Guclu Atinc (Ed.), Proceedings of the Seventy-seventh Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. Online ISSN: 2151-6561.
- Kluemper, D. H., Mitra, A., & Wang, S. 2016. Social Media use in HRM. Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management, 34: 153-207.
- Mitra, A. (2017, October). "'We’ or ‘Me’? I don't feel the need to serve!" Accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the Southern Management Association. St. Petersburg, FL.
- Mitra, A. (2017, October). "Female emotional labor: Examining through the lens of support and reciprocity." Accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the Southern Management Association. St. Petersburg, FL.
- Mitra, A., & Sauerwald, S. (2017, October). "Do women always support other women? A study of the upper echelon." Accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the Southern Management Association. St. Petersburg, FL.
- Mitra, A. (2017, August). "'She' against 'Her'? The Downside of Status Threat." Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the Academy of Management. Atlanta, Ga.
- Mitra, A., & Sauerwald, S. (2016, October). "Inclusive HR practices and Female Board Committee Representation." Paper presentation at the annual meeting of the Southern Management Association. Charlotte, North Carolina.
Awards & Affiliations
University of Illinois at Chicago:
- Outstanding Author Contribution Award, Emerald Literati Awards, 2017
- Conference submission judged as one of the best accepted papers in the 2017 Academy of Management Annual Meeting. Atlanta, Ga.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Academy of Management, 2017
- Graduate Student Council Travel Award, 2016.
- Inducted into ‘The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi’ based on academic excellence.
- UIC College of Business Graduate Assistantship, 2015-present
- UIC Department of Managerial Studies Fellowship, 2015-present
Xavier Institute of Management:
- Faculty Council Gold Medal for securing the first rank in MBA HRM Class of 2013-2015
- “Fr. Bogaert HR Merit Scholarship” for the best independent research project “The Predictors of self-esteem among business school students”
- Nominated for National HRD Network - Udai Pareek Scholarship for HR Students in 2014