Department of Information and Decision Sciences
University Hall 2403
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
Office Phone Voice:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Information and Decision Sciences, College of Business at University of Illinois at Chicago. 2013 – Present.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Business Administration, College of Business at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2009 – 2013.
- Software Engineer, Integrated Business Systems (now Sungard), 2001 – 2004
- Social Media and Network Analytics (IDS 564; Spring 2016 - )
- PhD Seminar: Econometric Methods for Information Systems Research (IDS 529; Spring 2015)
- Advanced Database Management Systems (IDS 521; Fall 2013 - )
- Systems Analysis & Design (IDS 405; Fall 2013)
- The role of Information Technology (IT) in inter-organizational relationships
- Economic and strategic impacts of IT investment
- Performance effects of participation in social and collaborative networks enabled by information technology
Awards & Affiliations
- CIONET European Research Paper of the Year, 2013
- Information Systems Research Reviewer of the Year, 2012
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, for service as a reviewer 2012
- “List of Teachers Ranked Excellent by their Students”, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Fall 2012
- Huang, P., A. Tafti, and S. Mithas. “Platform Sponsor’s Investments and User Contributions in Knowledge Communities: The Role of Knowledge Seeding,” forthcoming at MIS Quarterly. Read online.
- Mithas, S., J. Whitaker and A. Tafti (2016), “Information Technology, Revenues and Profits: Exploring the Role of Foreign and Domestic Operations,” forthcoming at Information Systems Research.
- Tafti, Ali, Ryan Zotti, and Wolfgang Jank, “Real-Time Diffusion of Information on Twitter and the Financial Markets,” PLoS ONE 11(8) 2016: e0159226. Read online.
- Pang, Min-Seok, Ali Tafti, and Krishnan, M.S. “Do CIO IT Budgets Explain Bigger or Smaller Governments? Theory and Evidence from U.S. State Governments,” Management Science (62:4) 2016, 1020 – 1041.
- Pang, Min-Seok, Ali Tafti, and Krishnan, M.S. “Information Technology and Administrative Efficiency in U.S. State Governments – A Stochastic Frontier Approach,” MIS Quarterly (38:4) 2014, 1079-1101.
- Tafti, Ali, Sunil Mithas, and M.S. Krishnan, “The Importance of IT-Enabled Flexibility in Alliances,” Sloan Management Review (54:3) 2013, 13-14.
- Mithas, Sunil, Ali Tafti, and Will Mitchell, “How a Firm’s Competitive Environment and Strategic Posture Influence Digital Business Strategy, ” MIS Quarterly (37:2) 2013, 511-536.
- Tafti, Ali, Sunil Mithas, and M.S. Krishnan, “The Effect of Information Technology-Enabled Flexibility on Formation and Market Value of Alliances,” Management Science (59:1) 2013, 207 – 225.
- Mithas, Sunil, Ali Tafti, I.R. Bardhan, and J.M. Goh, “Information Technology and Firm Profitability: Mechanisms and Empirical Evidence,” MIS Quarterly (36:1) 2012, 205-224. (2013 CIONET European Research Paper of the Year)
- Mithas, Sunil, Ali Tafti, I.R. Bardhan, and J.M. Goh, “The Impact of IT Investments on Profits,” Sloan Management Review (53:15) 2012, 15.
- Tafti, Ali, Sunil Mithas, and M.S. Krishnan, “Information Technology and Autonomy-Control Duality: Toward a Theory,” Information Technology and Management (8:2) 2007, pp. 147-167.
PhD, University of Michigan, December 2009. Business Administration with concentration in Business Information Technology, Ross School of Business.
MS,State University of New York at Stony Brook,December 1999. Computer Science.
BA, New College of Florida, May 1996. Physics.