Lan Nguyen Chaplin
Department of Managerial Studies
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
Office Phone Voice:
Selected Media Coverage
Fortune | Forbes | The New York Times | Time | "CBS News" | "ABC News Radio" | Scientific American |
New York Magazine | Smithsonian Magazine | Glamour | Washington Times | "CBC News" | Popular Science | Psychology Today | "Yahoo! Finance" | "Yahoo! Parenting" | Huffington Post | The Herald-Times | Redbook | Quartz
- Associate Professor of Marketing, University of Illinois-Chicago, 2013-Present
- Visiting Scholar, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, May-Aug 2017
- Associate Professor of Marketing (tenured), Villanova University, 2013
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Villanova University, 2010-2013
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Arizona, 2008-2010
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003-2007
- Lecturer in Marketing, University of Minnesota, 2000-2002
Editorial Review Boards:
- Journal of Consumer Research, 2014- present
- Journal of Positive Psychology, 2010- present
- Consumer Behavior: (Undergraduate and MBA)
- Brand Management: (Undergraduate and MBA)
- Consumer Behavior Among Children and Other Special Populations: (Ph.D. Seminar)
- Children's Happiness and Well-Being
- Children's Consumer Behavior
- Self-Brand Connections
- Psychology of Money
Awards & Affiliations - Research
- Research Support Grant, Villanova School of Business, 2011, 2012
- Villanova School of Business Summer Research Support, 2011, 2012
- Summer Research Fellowship, Villanova University, 2011
- Co-winner of the ACR Sheth Foundation Dissertation Competition for Public Purpose Research, 2002.
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, University of Miami, June 2001.
- Albert J. Haring Symposium Representative (Presenter), Indiana University, March 2000.
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, 2002-2003 academic year
Awards & Affiliations - Teaching
- Invited to give a presentation on innovative teaching methods by the Marketing Management Association (2015).
- Received Department Chair’s Highest Teaching Evaluation (2011, 2012, 2013), Villanova University
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's List of Excellent Instructors (top 10% campus-wide: rated as outstanding), 2003-2007
- “Excellence in Teaching” Award, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, 2001-2002
- “2001 Robert Lieberman Memorial Award” for excellence in teaching, Marketing and Logistics Management Department, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
- “Excellence in Teaching” Award, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, 2000-2001
- Gasiorowska, Agata, Lan N. Chaplin, Tomasz Zaleskiewicz, Sandra Wygrab, and Kathleen D. Vohs (2016), “Money Cues Increase Agency and Decrease Prosociality Among Children:
- Early Signs of Market Mode Behaviors,” Psychological Science, 27 (3), 331-344.
- Richins, Marsha L. and Lan Nguyen Chaplin (2015), “Material Parenting: How the Use of Goods in Parenting Fosters Materialism in the Next Generation”, Journal of Consumer Research, 41 (6), 1333-1357
*Reprinted in JCR’s Reserach Curations: transformative Consumer Research (Spring/Summer 2015; Curator: Julie Ozanne)
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Michael I. Norton (2015), “Why We Think We Can’t Dance: Theory of Mind and Performance in Children”, Child Development, 82 (2), 651-658
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Michael I. Norton (2015), “Why Don’t You Want to Sing and Dance in Public?” Scientific American, (February 24).
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen, Ronald P. Hill, and Deborah Roedder John (2014), “Poverty and Materialism: A Look at Impoverished Versus Affluent Children”, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 33 (1), 78-92.
- Burroughs, James, Lan Nguyen Chaplin, Mario Pandelaere, Michael I. Norton, Nailya Ordabayeva, Alexander Gunz, and Leslie Dinauer (2013), “Using Motivation Theory to Develop a Transformative Consumer Research Agenda for Reducing Materialism in Society,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 32 (1), 18-31.
- Cheng, Shirley, Tiffany Barnett White, and Lan Nguyen Chaplin (2012), “The Effects of Self-Brand Connections on Responses to Brand Failure: A New Look at the Consumer-Brand Relationship,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 22 (April), 280-288.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Deborah Roedder John (2010), “Interpersonal Influences on Adolescent Materialism: A New Look at the Role of Parents and Peers,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 20 (April), 176-184.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Tina M. Lowrey (2010), “The Development of Consumer-Based Consumption Constellations in Children,” Journal of Consumer Research, 36 (February), 757-777.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Deborah Roedder John (2007), “Growing Up in a Material World: Age Differences in Materialism in Children and Adolescents,” Journal of Consumer Research, 34 (December), 480-493.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Deborah Roedder John (2005), “The Development of Self-Brand Connections in Children and Adolescents,” Journal of Consumer Research, 32 (June), 119-129.
University of Minnesota—Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration
Major: Marketing; Minor: Psychology
University of Pennsylvania—Bachelor of Arts in Biological Basis of Behavior
Concentration: Behavioral Medicine