Sandy J. Wayne
Professor, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Faculty Director for Business Scholars, and Co-Director of the Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development (iLEAD)
Department of Managerial Studies
University Hall 2233
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
Office Phone Voice:
- Professor of Management, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003 to Present
- Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, 2014 to Present
- Director, Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development, 1996-2002; 2003 to Present
- Visiting Professor of Management, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Summers 2005 to 2010; 2012 to 2015
- Professor of Management, University of Georgia, 2002-2003
- Human Resource Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Developing effective relationships between employees and their managers
- Exploring leadership behaviors that enhance employee motivation and performance
- Identifying ways to enhance women's upward mobility in the workplace
- Understanding work-family balance and drivers of career success
Awards & Affiliations
- S. Rains Wallace Dissertation Award, Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 1988
- Fellow of the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2003
- Member, Academy of Management, Board of Governors, 2011-2014
- Elected Member, Society of Organizational Behavior (SOB), 2011-present
- Outstanding Doctoral Alumni Award, 2010, Texas A&M University
- Zhong, L., Wayne, S.J., & Liden, R.C. (in press). “High Performance Human Resource Practices, Job Engagement, and Employee Work Performance: A Social Exchange Perspective.” Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Hu, J., Wayne, S.J., Liden, R.C., Bauer, T.N., & Erdogan, B. (in press). “Self and Senior Executive Perceptions of Fit and Performance: A Time-lagged Examination of Newly-Hired Executives.” Human Relations.
- Bravo, J., Kraimer, M., Seibert, S., Wayne, S.J., & Liden, R.C. (in press). “A multidimensional measure of career orientation.” Journal of Career Assessment.
- Liden, R.C., Wu, J., Cao, A. X., & Wayne, S.J. (in press). “Leader-Member Exchange Measurement.” In T. N. Bauer & B. Erdogan (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Leader-Member Exchange. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Liu, D., Wang, S., & Wayne, S.J. (2015). “Is Being a Good Learner Enough? An Examination of the Interplay between Learning. Goal Orientation and Impression Management Tactics on Creativity.” Personnel Psychology, 68, 109-142.
- Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., Meuser, J.D., Hu, J., Wu, J., & Liao, C. (2015). “Servant Leadership: Validation of a Short Form of the SL-28.” Leadership Quarterly, 26, 254-269.
- Panaccio, A., Henderson, D.J., Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., & Cao, X. (2015). “Toward an Understanding of When and Why Servant Leadership Accounts for Employee Extra-Role Behaviors.” Journal of Business and Psychology, 30, 657-675.
- Liao, C., Wayne, S.J., & Rousseau, D. (2014). “Idiosyncratic Deals in Contemporary Organizations.” Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Hoobler, J.M., Lemmon, G., & Wayne, S.J. (2014). “Women’s Managerial Aspirations: An Organizational Development Perspective.” Journal of Management, 40, 703-730.
- Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., Liao, C., & Meuser, J.D. (2014). “Servant Leadership and Serving Culture: Influence on Individual and Unit Performance.” Academy of Management Journal, 57, 1434-1452.
- Liden, R.C., Panaccio, A., Meuser, J.D., Hu, J., & Wayne, S.J. (2014). “Servant leadership: Antecedents, processes, and outcomes.” In D.V. Day (Ed.), The Oxford handbook of leadership and organizations. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Wayne, S.J. (2013). “Leader-Member Exchange Theory.” In E.H. Kessler (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Management Theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 429-432.
- Mawritz, M.B., Mayer, D.M., Hoobler, J.M., Wayne, S.J., & Marinova, S.V. (2012). “A Trickle-Down Model of Abusive Supervision.” Personnel Psychology, 65, 325-357.
- Gavino, M.C., Wayne, S.J., & Erdogan, B. (2012). “Discretionary and Transactional Human Resource Practices and Employee Outcomes: The Role of Perceived Organizational Support.” Human Resource Management, 51, 665-686.
- Kraimer, M.L., Seibert, S.E., Wayne, S.J., Liden, R.C., & Bravo, J. (2011). “Antecedents and Outcomes of Organizational Support for Development: The Critical Role of Career Opportunities.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 485-500.
- Hoobler, J.M., Lemmon, G., & Wayne, S.J. (2011). “Women’s Underrepresentation in Upper Management: New Insights on a Persistent Problem.” Organizational Dynamics, 40, 151-156.
PhD in Business Administration, Texas A&M University
MBA, Illinois State University
BS in Business Administration, Illinois State University