Professor, Director of Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) Graduate Studies, and Department Head of Information and Decision Sciences
Department of Information and Decision Sciences
University Hall 2408
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
Office Phone Voice:
- Professor, Information and Decision Sciences, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2014 - .
- Interim Head, Information and Decision Sciences, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, July, 2012 -
- Faculty Director of Undergraduate Programs, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2009-2011
- Associate Professor, Information and Decision Sciences, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003-present
- Assistant Professor, Information and Decision Sciences Department, College of Business and Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, August, 1997 - 2002.
- Visiting Researcher, Olsen and Associates, Research Institute for Applied Economics, Zurich, Switzerland, Summer 1996, 1997.
- Assistant Professor, Management Information Systems, Department of Management, College of Business and Administration, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, 1993-1997
- Graduate Assistant in the Decision and Information Sciences Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, 1989-1993
- Customer Engineer (computer systems customer support) with ORG Systems, Baroda, India, 1986-1989.
- Business data mining (IDS 572, IDS 472)
- Capstone Projects (IDS 507)
- Business analytics, data mining, business intelligence
- Social computing, e-business, information management
- Computational modeling, agent-based models, complexity
- Evolutionary computation, Machine learning, Intelligent decision support
Awards & Affiliations
- Favorite MIS Professor, Liautaud Graduate School of Business, UIC. 2007, 2010, 2012
- Favorite MBA Professor, Liautaud Graduate School of Business, UIC, 2004
- CBA Dean's Recognition of Teaching Excellence, College of Business, UIC, 1999, 2000, 2002 to 2008
- Grinter Graduate Fellowship, University of Florida, 1992
- Zhang, K., S. Bhattacharyya, S. Ram , “Empirical analysis of implicit brand networks on social media”, Proc 25th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social media (HT-14), Sept 2014.
- Bhattacharyya, S., “Confidence in Predictions from Random Tree Ensembles”, Knowledge and Information Systems (invited issue, selected papers from IEEE International Conference on Data Mining), vol. 35, no. 2, 391-410, 2013.
- Alfaro,I., S. Bhattacharyya, M.B. Watson-Manheim.” Organizational Adoption of Social Media in the USA: A Mixed Method Approach”, Proc European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS-2013).
- Alfaro, I., Bhattacharyya, S., Highlander, J., Surakshith, S.M., Watson-Manheim, M.B., “Opening the Social Media Black Box – A Feature-Based Approach,” Proc European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS-2012), June, 2012.
- Bhattacharyya, S., S. Jha, K. Tharakunnel, C. Westland, “Data Mining for Credit Card Fraud – A Comparative Study”, Decision Support Systems, vol. 50, no. 3, 602-613, 2011.
- Bhattacharyya, S. and S. Ohlsson, “How Network Structure Affects Social Creativity”, Proc 3rd IEEE International Conference on Social Computing (IEEE SocCom), October, 2011, MIT, Boston.
- Bhattacharyya, S. and S. Ohlsson, “Social Creativity as a Function of Agent Cognition and Network Properties: A Computer Model”, Social Networks, vol. 32, no. 4, 263-278, 2010.
- Tharakunnel, K. and S. Bhattacharyya, “Single-Leader-Multiple-Follower Games with Boundedly Rational Agents”, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, vol. 33, no. 8, 1593-1603, 2009.
PhD, University of Florida, Gainesville, August, 1993. Decision and Information Sciences, College of Business Administration.
Bachelor of Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, India, 1986. Electronics and Communications Engineering