Sudhakar (Sid) Balachandran
Associate Professor and Director of MBA Graduate Studies
Department of Accounting
601 S. Morgan St., 2310 UH
Office Phone Voice:
- Associate Professor (with Tenure), University of Illinois at Chicago, Aug 2012 - present
- Assistant Dean for Teaching Excellence, Columbia University, Graduate School of Business, Feb 2011 - Aug 2012
- Assistant Professor, Columbia University, Graduate School of Business, July 2001 - Feb 2011
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Empirical Research in Shareholder Value Management
Awards & Affiliations
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, Columbia Business School
- Member of Beta Gamma Sigma Management Honor Society
- “Do Voting Rights Matter: Evidence from the Adoption of Equity-Based Compensation Plans”, Contemporary Accounting Research, Forthcoming 2012, (with P. Joos and J. Weber).
- “Using Residual Income to Refine the Relationship between Earnings Growth and Stock Returns”, Review of Accounting Studies, Forthcoming 2012, (with P. Mohanram).
- “Is the Decline in the Value Relevance of Accounting Driven by Increased Conservatism?”, Review of Accounting Studies, 2011, (with P. Mohanram).
- “Are CEOs Compensated for Value Destroying Growth in Earnings?”, Review of Accounting Studies, 2010, (with P. Mohanram).
- “How Does Residual Income Affect Investment? The Role of Prior Performance Measures”, Management Science, 2006.
- “Sink or Swim? Firms’ Responses to Underwater Options”, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 2004, (with M. Carter and L. Lynch)
Doctorate in Business Administration: Concentration in Accounting, Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA, 1995 -2001
Masters of Business Administration, J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Evanston, Illinois, 1988-1990
BS in Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1983 - 1987