You are here

Graduate International Applicants

A photo of the UIC campus in the evening.

UIC Liautaud is proud to host many students from countries around the globe.

As an international student, we welcome you to add to the rich diversity of thought, spirit, language and ideas that permeate our campus and our programs.  We welcome students from all countries to apply to our reputable, accredited, research-based programs.

You can find additional information on requirements here.


International Application Deadlines

Fall Semester: February 15
Spring Semester: July 15

Apply Now

Request Information

STEM Degree Program

We are pleased to announce that the UIC Liautaud Master and PhD level programs in Management Information Systems and the MS in Business Analytics have been approved as STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) - Designated Degree Programs.

Under the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, international students who graduate from colleges and universities in the United States are able to remain in the country and receive training through work experience for up to 12 months. Students who graduate from a designated STEM degree program can remain for an additional 17 months on an OPT STEM extension.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible for an international student to be granted a conditional admission before they submit TOEFL and GMAT scores?

Unfortunately, we do not offer conditional admission. All applicants must complete their applications with all required supporting documents and test scores to be evaluated for admission.

I am a non-U.S. Citizen/permanent resident, but I am currently living in the United States. Can I apply as a domestic applicant, following the domestic application deadlines?

An applicant who currently holds a visa of any type or would need a visa to enter the United States must apply as international student and adhere to the international student application deadline and instructions. This includes applicants who are currently already in the U.S. on a student visa for enrollment at another institution or on an employment-based visa.

What application documents do you need from my home country?

For a listing of requirements specific to applicants from your home country, please select your country from this listing of countries.

How do I calculate my GPA if my school's grading system is not on a 4.0 scale?

We work with international applicants from many different countries and are familiar with grading systems around the world. The Office of Admissions will evaluate your transcripts and degree certificate as part of the application process and will recalculate your GPA if necessary.

Do I need to have my transcripts evaluated by a third party?

Third party evaluations are not required nor accepted. The Office of Admissions will perform an International Credential Evaluation as part of the application review process.

I have a three-year bachelor’s degree from a university outside the U.S. May I apply to UIC Liautaud?

In general, a three-year bachelor’s degree is not considered equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree for purposes of graduate admission. We encourage you to check this listing of academic credential requirements specific to your home country.

How many people do you admit from my country?

Each year, UIC Liautaud admits people from a variety of countries. When making offers of admission, the Admissions Committee does not follow quotas nor admit certain numbers of people from certain countries. The number of people admitted from a certain country each year depends on the number of people who apply, and the strength of the applicant pool.

How do I obtain my student visa?

For detailed information about the required documents and an overview of the process, please visit the Office of International Services (OIS) website.

When do I submit the International Student Declaration and Certification of Finances Form and supporting financial documents?

UIC Liautaud does not require students to submit evidence of financial support at the time of application. If you have received a letter of admission from the UIC Office of Admissions or an official notification asking for financial documents from the Office of International Services (OIS), you will need to provide a bank statement or letter and a signed UIC Declaration and Certification of Finances form.

Who is required to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

All international applicants are required to submit official TOEFL/IELTS scores, unless they meet the listed exemptions.

Domestic applicants may also be required to submit official TOEFL/IELTS scores if they completed their education outside of the United States.

In my home country, English is the primary language of instruction and is widely spoken. Am I still required to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

TOEFL/IELTS exemptions are not determined by the prevalence of English spoken in your country or the language of instruction at your university. Please view the list of requirements specific to applicants from your home country.

How can I be exempt from taking the TOEFL/IELTS?

Full details regarding the cases in which applicants may qualify for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver are available here

What is the minimum score I need on the TOEFL/IELTS?

We look very closely at both the sub-scores and the overall score. Details about our minimum required scores are available here

Where can I find out more information on the TOEFL exam?

You may find more information about the TOEFL at

What is your program code used by ETS for TOEFL?

The school code for UIC is 1851.

How long are my TOEFL/IELTS scores considered valid?

English proficiency test scores are considered valid for two years following the test date and must be valid at the time of application.