Doctoral Student in Business Administration: Human Resource Management
Department of Managerial Studies
601 S. Morgan St. Chicago, Illinois 60607
Adaora is a 4th year Ph.D. Candidate in Organizational Behavior and Human Resources Management in the Department of Managerial Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Prior to her current position, Adaora worked as a research assistant on projects at the University of Washington Foster School of Business. Before her work in research, Adaora served as an internal training and organization development consultant at the University of Washington Medical Center. As an external consultant, Adaora’s clients included Seattle Art Museum, Seattle Symphony Orchestra, Bellevue College, St. Andrew Presbyterian, Loft 9 Consulting, and Gay City Health Clinic.
Adaora's research streams include leadership behaviors and effectiveness, intergroup processes, psychological safety in the workplace, and work-life management strategies.
While at the University of Florida, Adaora competed in the discus, shot put and hammer events, as a member of the women’s track and field team. Adaora continues her passion for active living as a certified water aerobics instructor and avid swimmer, salsa dancer, cycling enthusiast, and recreational volleyball player.
- Ubaka, A., Lu, X., & Gutierrez, L. Taking Another Look at Race and American Leadership Prototype: A replication of Rosette et al. (2008). (Conditionally accepted at The Leadership Quarterly). Winner of the “Best Student Conference Paper” Award in the Gender & Diversity in Organizations Division at the 80th Annual Academy of Management Conference (2020).
Service to Community
- Academy of Management Annual Conference Reviewer, 2018-Present
- Network of Leadership Scholars Volunteer at AOM Annual Conference, August 2019
- Southern Management Association (SMA) Conference Reviewer, 2018-Present
- Service Committee Member, Management Doctoral Student Association, 2017-2018
- Organizer, EmoNet VI Emotions in Work-life Conference with Dr. Neal Ashkanasy, 2018
2020, Best Student Conference Paper Award: Gender & Diversity in Organizations Division, 80th Annual Academy of Management Conference
2020, Ph.D. Project - Baruch College Research Fellow: One of 15 graduate students selected to present their research, 3rd Annual Ph.D. Project - Baruch College Research Symposium in New York City
2018-2022, Pipeline to an Inclusive Faculty Fellowship: A four-year fellowship given each year to 2 promising doctoral students within the entire Graduate College, University of Illinois at Chicago
2017-2022, UIC Business Graduate Fellowship, University of Illinois at Chicago
2017-2018, Institute of Leadership Excellence & Development Fellowship, University of Illinois at Chicago
Ph.D. in Business Administration, focus on Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management, University of Illinois at Chicago (expected 2022)
M.A. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Seattle Pacific University
B.A. in Philosophy, University of Florida
- Society of Social and Personality Psychology, 2018-Present
- Academy of Management, 2017-Present
- The Ph.D. Project, Management Student Association (MDSA), 2014-Present
- Ubaka, A. Forming Ensemble: A Gateway to Psychological Safety & Inclusion in Diverse Organizations, 3rd Annual Distance in Organizations (DIOS) Conference Montreal, Canada (Virtual Conference).
- Hart, C., Seegars, L., Gutierrez, L., Palmer, C., Carter, J., Domingo, M., Gonzalez, K., Ubaka, A. Moving beyond the conversation: Building a research agenda to create more inclusive organizations (PDW, GDO Division) 78th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Ubaka, A., Lu, X., & Gutierrez, L. Taking Another Look at Race and American Leadership Prototype: A replication of Rosette et al. (2008). (Paper Presentation, GDO Division), 80th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management Conference, (Virtual Conference).
Research Currently in Progress
- Capturing Inclusive Leadership (TBD) Target Journal: The Leadership Quarterly.
- Building Ensemble Through Professional Play: A Gateway to Integrative Psychological Safety Across Racial & Cultural Differences, Ubaka, A. & Wayne, S. (Preparing for Submission) Target Journal: Administrative Science Quarterly.
- Symbols of Safety: Leader Behaviors & Positive Perceptions of PE-FIT Among BIPOC Employees, Ubaka, A.
- Women in STEM Careers (Engineering) Cardador, T. & Ubaka, A. (Writing Stage) Target Journal: Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Abusive Supervision & Construal Level Intervention Lu, X. & Ubaka, A. *Equal first authorship, Target Journal: Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Minority Career Upward Mobility Study, Wayne, S., Sun, J., Cheung, G., Kluemper, D., Ubaka, A. (Data Analysis) Target Journal: Academy of Management Journal.