Doctoral Student in Management Information Systems
Department of Information and Decision Sciences
Afnan Afnan is a PhD student at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), in Information and Decision Sciences department. Her research interests include health information technology (electronic medical/health record systems), user satisfaction, healthcare social network, information sensitivity, and unintended consequences of technology use. Afnan received highest academic degrees: MM in technology from the University of Melbourne - Australia, and MSc in computing from the University of Manchester -UK. She has received the Humanitarian Service Award from the office of Illinois Secretary of State. She has presented her papers in AMCIS and ICIS conferences. She is a member of ACM and AIS.
- Business Database Technology
- Advanced Database Management
- Enterprise Application Development
- Information Infrastructure and Security
- Introduction to Management Information Systems
- System Analysis Design Project
- Healthcare social network
- Information sensitivity
- Health information technology
- User satisfaction
- Unintended consequences of technology
Research and Publications
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- Afnan, A., and C Ranganathan. 2015. “Factors Associated with HER User Satisfaction in Small Clinic Settings,” in Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Fort Worth, TX.
- Afnan, A., and C Ranganathan. 2013. “Development of a Change Readiness Scale for Electronic Medical Record Systems Implementation at Hospitals,” in Proceedings of the Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Chicago, IL. 19
- C. Ranganathan, and Afnan, A. 2012. “Effective Implementation of Electronic Medical Record Systems: Insights from a Longitudinal Case Study,” in Proceedings of the 18 Seattle, WA.
Research in Progress
- Afnan, A. and C. Ranganathan. “Information Sensitivity in the Context of Healthcare Social Networks,” unpublished paper.
- Afnan, A. “Political Engagement in Social Networking Sites,” unpublished paper.
- Afnan, A. “Barriers and Facilitators to Personal Health Record Adoption – A Study of Healthcare Actors’ Involvement in the Adoption,” unpublished paper.
2015-16, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship sponsored by the Office of Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
2015, Humanitarian Service Award, Jesse White, Illinois Secretary of State
2012, Doctoral Fund, College of Business Administration
2012, Presenters Award, Graduate College - University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
Doctor of Philosophy in Management of Information System, The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), USA, 2011 – Current (expected graduation in 2016)
Master of Science in Computing, The University of Manchester, United Kingdom, 2004.
Master of Management in Technology, Melbourne Business School, The University of Melbourne, Australia, 1999.
Bachelor in Computer Engineering, Surabaya Institute of Technology, Indonesia, 1994.