Doctoral Student in Management Information Stystems
Department of Information and Decision Sciences
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
I am a doctoral candidate in the Management Information Systems program with an interest in statistical and causal inference with observational data. My academic training includes a variety of research methods such as econometrics, causal inference, network analysis, data analytics, and machine learning.
My primary research area lies at the intersection of sharing economy, analytics, and transportation. I design observational studies that infer causal effects in the context of digitally enabled mobility platforms. My dissertation research focuses on the societal and economic impacts of ridesharing and bike-sharing platforms. My secondary research area of interest is in the field of online social networks where I mainly examine the regional impacts of online social connections.
- Data Science Intern, May 2020 – August 2020, CCC Information Systems Inc.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2016 - Present
- Research Assistant, Istanbul Technical University, 2012 - 2016
Teaching Assistant, IDS 200 Introduction to Management Information Systems, IDS 201 Introduction to Business Programming, IDS 515 Information Systems Strategy and Policy, IDS 570 Statistics for Management, IDS 532 Introduction to Operations Management.
- Digitally enabled mobility platforms and online networks
Al Balawi, R., Basak, E., Tafti A., & Watson-Manheim, M.B. (2020) “Ride-Sharing Services and Environmental Sustainability: An Empirical Investigation of UberX Entry and Gas Emissions.” AMCIS 2020 Proceedings. 11.
Basak, E., Tafti, A., & Huang, P. (2018, December). “Network topology and tie strength in online communities of practice.” In International Workshop on Complex Networks and their Applications (pp. 377-387). Springer, Cham.
Basak, E., Calisir F. (2015). “An empirical study on factors affecting continuance intention of using Facebook.” Computers in Human Behavior, 48, 181-189.
Basak, E., & Calisir, F. (2014). “Uses and gratifications of LinkedIn: An exploratory study.” In Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering (Vol. 2, pp. 2-4).
Basak, E., Ekmekci, E., Bayram, Y., & Bas, Y. (2013). “Analysis of factors that affect the intention to leave of white-collar employees in Turkey using structural equation modelling.” In Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science (Vol. 2).
Service to Community
- Representative: PhD Student Representative in IDS Department (Fall 2018 – Spring 2019)
- Ad-hoc Reviewer: International Conference of Information Systems (2018 – Present), Electronic Commerce Research (2018 – Present)
2016 - Present, University of Illinois at Chicago Doctoral Scholarship and College of Business Administration Doctoral Fellowship, University of Illinois at Chicago
2014, Best Student Paper Award of the 2014 International Conference of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management (WCE’14), International Conference of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management
2013, Certificate of Merit (Student) for the 2013 International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management (WCECS’13), International Conference on Systems Engineering and Engineering Management
2011, Dean's Honor List, Istanbul Technical University
PhD, Management Information Systems, University of Illinois at Chicago, May 2021 (Expected)
PhD, Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, May 2016 (Passed the qualifying exam)
MSc, Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, May 2014
Erasmus Exchange Program, Industrial Engineering and Management, University of Minho, Spring 2009
BSc, Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, May 2011
Licensures and Certifications
- Sequence Models - deeplearning.ai, Issued July 2020
- Structuring Machine Learning Projects – deeplearning.ai, Issued July 2020
- Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter tuning, Regularization, and Optimization – deeplearning.ai, Issued June 2020
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning – deeplearning.ai, Issued June 2020
- Basak, E., & Tafti, A. "The Impact of Social Ties on Voters’ Electoral Decisions: Evidence from County-Level 2016 United States Presidential Election Results." INFORMS Conference on Information Systems and Technology, Information Systems Society, Seattle, WA, 2019.
Research Currently in Progress
- Basak, E., Watson-Manheim, M.B., & Tafti, A. "Causal Mediation Effects of Public Transit Ridership on the Relationship Between Ridesharing Services and Traffic Congestion: An Empirical Investigation of UberX in the United States." Under review at Information Systems Research.
- Basak, E. Tafti, A., & Watson-Manheim, M.B. "Pedaling Our Way to Clean Air: An Empirical Investigation of Bike-Sharing Platforms and Local Air Quality." Under review at Management Science.
- Basak, E., & Tafti, A. "The Effect of Online Social Ties on Voters’ Electoral Decisions: Evidence from County-Level 2016 United States Presidential Election Results." Being prepared for submission.
- Basak, E., Al Balawi, R., & Tafti A. "Online Social Networks, the Influence of Structural Social Capital, and Regional Innovation: Empirical Evidence Using United States County-Level Data."
- Basak, E. & Iris, C. "Bike-Sharing Platforms and Public Transit Ridership: Evidence from U.S. Cities." Work in Progress.
- Fatemi, S., Basak, E., Al Balawi, R., & Tafti A. "The Effect of Pandemic on Bike-Sharing: An Empirical Investigation of Covid-19 and Bike-Sharing Platforms." Work in Progress.