Associate Professor and Co-Director of the Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development (iLEAD)
Department of Managerial Studies
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Associate Professor of Management, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2017-present
- Director, UIC Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development (iLEAD), 2015-present
- Assistant Professor of Management, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2013-2017
- Assistant Professor of Management, Northern Illinois University, 2010-2013
- Robert and Patricia Hines Professor and Assistant Professor, Louisiana State University, 2008-2010
- Assistant Professor of Management, Louisiana State University, 2006-2008
- Visiting Professor of Management, Oklahoma State University – Tulsa, 2005-2006
- Director of Human Resources, Gibault Inc., 1996-2001
Courses Taught at UIC
- Advanced Research Methods and Statistics (PhD)
- Personality in Organizations (PhD)
- Organizational Behavior (PhD)
- Organizational Behavior (MBA)
- Managerial Consulting (Undergraduate / Graduate)
- Research Interests
- Workplace mistreatment
- Kluemper, D. H., Taylor, S., Bowler, M., Bing, M. N., & Halbesleben, J. (2019). “How leaders perceive employee deviance: Excusing favorites while blaming victims.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 7, 946-964.
- Kluemper, D. H., Mossholder, K., Ispas, D., Bing, M. N., Illie, A., & Iliscu, D. (2019). “When core self-evaluations influence employees’ deviant reactions to abusive supervision: The moderating role of cognitive ability.” Journal of Business Ethics, 159, 435-453.
- Kluemper, D. H., Mitra, A., & Wang, S. (2016) “Social media and HRM.” M. Ronald Buckley, Halbesleben, Jonathon R. B. & Wheeler, Anthony R. (Eds.) Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management (Volume 34). Emerald Group Publishing Ltd., p. 153-207.
- Winner: Outstanding Author Contribution in the 2017 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence.
- Kluemper, D., H., *McLarty, B., & Bing, M. N. (2015). “Acquaintance ratings of the Big Five personality traits: Incremental validity beyond and interactive effects with self-reports in the prediction of workplace deviance.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 100, 237-248.
- Kluemper, D. H., DeGroot, T., & *Choi, S. (2013). “Emotion management ability: Predicting task performance, citizenship, and deviance.” Journal of Management, 39, 878-905. DOI: 10.1177/014920631140732
- Little, L., Kluemper, D, H., Nelson, D. & Ward, A. (2013). “More than happy to help? Customer-focused emotion management strategies.” Personnel Psychology, 66, 261-286.
- Taylor, S., Bedeian, A., & Kluemper, D. H. (2012). “Linking workplace incivility to citizenship performance: A moderated mediation study.” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33, 878-893.
- Kluemper, D. H., Rosen, P. A., Mossholder, K. W. (2012). “Social networking websites, personality ratings, and the organizational context: More than meets the eye?” Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 42, 1143-1172.
- Bing, M., Kluemper, D. H., Davison, K., *Taylor, S., & Novicevic, M. A. (2011). “Overclaiming as a measure of faking” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 116, 148-162.
- DeGroot, T., Aime, F., Johnson, S., & Kluemper, D. H. (2011). “Does talking the talk help walking the walk? An examination of the effect of vocal attractiveness in leader performance.” Leadership Quarterly, 22, 680-689.
- Kluemper, D. H., Little, L., & DeGroot, T. (2009). “State or Trait: Effects of State Optimism on Job-related Outcomes.” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 30, 209-231.
Editorial boards, Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Journal of Management, Journal of Business and Psychology
2018, UIC Business Faculty Impact Award, UIC Business
2017, Outstanding Author Contribution, Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence
2014, UIC Department of Managerial Studies Excellence in Teaching Award, UIC Business
PhD in Organizational Behavior, Oklahoma State University, 2006
Master of Science in Criminology, Indiana State University, 2000
Bachelors of Science in Management, Indiana State University, 1993
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP)
- Southern Management Association (SMA)
- Research Presentation – Northern Illinois University - How leaders perceive employee deviance: Blaming victims while excusing favorites – October 2018, DeKalb, IL
- Research Presentation – University of Memphis – Future directions in personality theory and measurement in organizational science – March 2018, Memphis, TN
- Research Presentation – University of Pretoria - How leaders perceive employee deviance: Excusing favorites while blaming victims – June 2017, Pretoria South Africa
- Research Methods Training - University of Pretoria PhD Program – Topic: Field Research Methods – June 2017, Pretoria South Africa
- Professional Development Workshop Presentation – Topic: Field Research Methods - Management Scholars Professional Development Workshop, April 2016, Tulsa, OK
- Keynote presentation at the Dutch-Flemish Network for Recruitment and Selection Research. October, 2012, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Keynote presentation at seminar entitled “Modern assessment 2012: Co-creation in the cloud?” hosted by the Dutch Foundation for Psychological Aptitude-Testing Apparatus (NSvP). October, 2012, Amsterdam, Netherlands