Department of Managerial Studies
Building & Room:
University Hall 2215
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2013-Present
- Assistant Professor of Entrepreneurship, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2007-2013
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Entrepreneurship, College of Business Administration, Florida International University, 2006-2007
- Visiting Scholar, Stanford University, Scandinavian Consortium for Organizational Studies, 2004
- Researcher, Turku School of Economics, Innomarket Unit, Finland, 1999-2002
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Business Planning
- Entrepreneurship with a focus on the early stages of business development and understanding what factors contribute to successful business start-ups; the role of entrepreneurship in bringing about social change.
Coleman Foundation , The Chicagoland Entrepreneurship Education for People with Disabilities (CEED) project, Co-Principal Investigator
UIC Chancellor's Discovery Fund for Multidisciplinary Pilot Research, Participation through Innovation: Social entrepreneurship as a pathway to employment for people with disabilities, Principal Investigator
- Moss Todd, Block Emily, Renko Maija & Meyskens Moriah. Funding the Story of Hybrid Ventures: Crowdfunder Lending Preferences and Linguistic Hybridity. Forthcoming in the Journal of Business Venturing.
- Renko Maija & Freeman Michael J. (2017) How Motivation Matters: Conceptual Alignment of Individual and Opportunity as a Predictor of Starting Up. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, Vol. 8, November 2017, 56-63.
- Parhankangas Annaleena & Renko Maija (2017) Linguistic Style and Crowdfunding Success among Social and Commercial Entrepreneurs. Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 32, No. 2, 215–236.
- Bullough Amanda & Renko Maija (2017) A Different Frame of Reference: Entrepreneurship and Gender Differences in the Perception of Danger. Academy of Management Discoveries, Vol. 3, No. 1, 21-41.
- Hechavarría Diana M., Terjesen Siri A., Ingram Amy E., Renko Maija, Justo Rachida, Elam Amanda (2017) Taking Care of Business: The Impact of Culture and Gender on Entrepreneurs’ Blended Value Creation Goals. Small Business Economics, Vol. 48, No. 1, 225–257.
- Bullough Amanda, Renko Maija & Abdelzaher Dina (2017) Women’s Business Ownership: Operating within the Context of Institutional and In-Group Collectivism. Journal of Management, Vol. 43, No. 7, 2037-2064.
- Stenholm Pekka & Renko Maija (2016) Passionate Bricoleurs and New Venture Survival.Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 31, No. 5, 595–611.
- Renko Maija, Parker Harris Sarah & Caldwell Kate (2016) Entrepreneurial Entry by People with Disabilities.International Small Business Journal, Vol. 34, No. 5, 555-578.
- Renko Maija, Kundu Sumit K., Shrader Rodney, Carsrud Alan L. & Parhankangas Annaleena (2016) Liabilities, Advantages, and Buffers of Newness: How Young Age Makes Internationalization Possible. Group & Organization Management, Vol. 41, No. 6, 786-822.
- Renko Maija, El Tarabishy Ayman, Carsrud Alan L. & Brännback Malin (2015) Understanding and Measuring Entrepreneurial Leadership Style.” Journal of Small Business Management, Vol. 53, No. 1, 54–74.
2016, Best Paper Award Best Paper Award for the most relevant research in social entrepreneurship , 2016 BCERC G. Dale Meyer
2016, Nominated for the 2016 Carolyn B. Dexter Award, Academy of Management
PhD in Business Administration, Florida International University, 2008
D.Sc. in Business Administration, Turku School of Economics, Finland, 2006
M.Sc. in Economics & Business Administration, Turku School of Economics, Finland, 2000
- Member of the Journal of Business Venturing review board.
- Member of the Journal of Management review board.
- Member of the Small Business Economics review board.
- Member of the International Small Business Journal review board.