Professor and Associate Dean
Department of Managerial Studies
Building & Room:
Ste 2200 UH
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Firm Performance
- Entrepreneurship and Social Responsibility
- Research Methods in Management Research
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Strategic Management
- McWilliams, A. (2020) Corporate Social Responsibility, The Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Business and Management, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. (book chapter).
- McWilliams, A., D. Rupp, D. Siegel, G. Stahl and D. Waldman (2019) The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Responsibility: Psychological and Organizational Perspectives, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- Khalili, N., W. Cheng and A. McWilliams (2017) A Methodological Approach for the Design of Sustainability Initiatives: In Pursuit of Sustainable Transition in China, Sustainability Science, 12: 933-956.
- McWilliams, A, A. Parhankangas, J. Coupet, E. Welch, and D. Barnum (2016) Strategic Decision Making for the Triple Bottom Line, Business Strategy and the Environment, 25: 193-204.
- McWilliams, A., R. Shrader and D.D. Van Fleet (2016) Rethinking the Base of the Pyramid: Social Responsibility, Sustainability and the Role of Entrepreneurs: 13-32, in Guerber, A., G. Markman and S. Su, (ed.), The World Scientific Reference on Entrepreneurship, Volume 3: Sustainability, Ethics and Entrepreneurship, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore, https://lccn.loc.gov/2015033822.
- McWilliams, A. & D. Siegel (2011) Creating and Capturing Private and Social Value: Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility, Resource Based Theory and Sustainable Competitive Advantage, Journal of Management, 37(5): 1480-1495.
- McWilliams, A., D.D. Van Fleet & K. Cory (2002), Raising Rivals’ Costs: An Application of Resource-Based Theory, Journal of Management Studies, 39(5): 707-723.
- McWilliams, A. & D. Siegel (2001) Corporate Social Responsibility: A Theory of the Firm Perspective, Academy of Management Review, 26(1): 117-27.
- McWilliams, A. & D. Siegel (2000) Corporate Social Responsibility & Financial Performance: Correlation or Misspecification? Strategic Management Journal, 21: 603-09.
- McWilliams, A. and D. Siegel (1997) Event Studies in Management Research: Theoretical and Empirical Issues, Academy of Management Journal, 40(3): 626-57.
Service to Community
Member, Chancellor's Committee on Sustainability and Energy, 2017 - 2021
Ph.D. Economics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1987
M.A. Economics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1984
B.S. Business Administration, The Ohio State University, 1982, Summa Cum Laude
- Strategic Management Society
- Academy of Management
- A. McWilliams (2020) One Style Does Not Fit All: The Role of Backer Characteristics and Language in Crowfunding Success of Women and Social Entrepreneurs, Sustainability, Ethics & Entrepreneurship annual conference, Peurto Rico, with A. Parhankangas and M. Renko
- A. McWilliams (2019) The Impact of Gender-Specific Linguistic Style on Crowdfunding Outcomes, Academy of Management, Boston, with A. Parankangas and M. Renko
- A. McWilliams (2018) He Says, She Says, annual Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Waterford, Ireland, with A. Parankangas and M. Renko
Research Currently in Progress
- Parhankangas, A., M. Renko and A. McWilliams, Informational Pitching Style and Entrepreneurs’ Fundraising Performance: The Contingent Role of Context and Gender, revise & resubmit requested by Journal of Management Studies, May, 2022.