Assistant Professor of Marketing
I am an anthropologist of consumer culture who studies how marketers produce ideas about race and identity in the United States.
- ‘Worth more than just its weight in gold’: Nameplate Jewelry and the Practice of Oppositional Respectability,” Journal of Marketing Management (in press)
- “Making the Mass White: How Racial Segregation Shaped Consumer Segmentation,” in G.D. Johnson, K.D. Thomas, A.K Harrison and S. G. Grier (eds)., Race in the Marketplace: Crossing Critical Boundaries. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Say My Name: Nameplate Jewelry and the Politics of Taste,” QED Journal 4, no. 3, Fall/Winter 2017.
- “The Limits of Equality Branding,” In Media Res: A MediaCommons Project, March 2017.
2020, Faculty Fellowship, Institute for Research on Race and Public Policy (IRRPP), University of Illinois at Chicago
2018, Dissertation Fieldwork Grant, The Wenner-Gren Foundation
2016, Predoctoral Fellowship, Ford Foundation
PhD in Cultural Anthropology, New York University, 2020
BA, Africana Studies, University of Pennsylvania , 2013
Race in the Marketplace
Critical Race and Digital Studies
- “‘Reaching Verified Hispanics’: Digital Advertising, Ethnoracial Data, and the Right to be Surveilled.” Research Talk at the Data & Society Research Institute, New York, New York. January 29, 2020.
- “Intersectionality, Inc.”, Race in the Marketplace Research Forum. Université Paris-Dauphine, Paris, France, June 27-29, 2019.
- “‘You Can’t Manage What You Can’t Measure’: Surveillance Capitalism and the Racial Politics of Data Representation,” Digitizing Race: Making Latinx’s in the 21st Century Conference. New York University, March 8, 2019.
- “Documenting the Nameplate,” with Isabel Flower for On Air Fest, Wythe Hotel, Brooklyn, March 2, 2019.
Research Currently in Progress
- Multicultural advertising in the United States
- "Documenting the Nameplate," an open call photography book project about nameplate jewelry culture
Artistic and Professional Performances and Exhibits
- 2018 The Music Sounds Better with Whom?: The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on the Music Experience (20 min.) Producer. Winner, Best Documentary, Toronto Shorts Film Festival
- 2017 Ode to Fazil’s (18 min.) - Director, Producer & Editor
- 2015 Gonna Sip that Sip and Hit that Dip: The Emerging Queer Hip Hop Movement (13 min.) - Lead Producer and Researcher. Jury Award for Best Documentary Short, Chicago LGBT International Film Festival
- 2015 iDentity (10 min.) - Director, Producer & Editor
- 2013 Chasing Real (23 min) Co-Director, Producer and Editor.
- 2008 Sticks and Stones (12 min.). Co-Director, Producer and Editor. Winner, Princeton Prize in Race Relations 2008.