- PhD in Marketing, University of Minnesota
- BA in Biological Basis of Behavior (Concentration: Behavioral Medicine), University of Pennsylvania
- Associate Professor of Marketing, University of Illinois-Chicago, Present
- Associate Professor of Marketing (tenured), Villanova University, 2013
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Villanova University, 2010-2013
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Arizona, 2008-2010
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003-2007
- Lecturer in Marketing, University of Minnesota, 2000-2002
- Brand Management
Research and Publications
- Children’s Consumer Behavior
- Children's Happiness and Well-Being
- Brand Extension
- Brand Metrics
- Impression Management
- Richins, Marsha L. and Lan Nguyen Chaplin (2015), “Material Parenting: How the Use of Goods in Parenting Fosters Materialism in the Next Generation”, Journal of Consumer Research, 41(6), 1333-1357. [LEAD ARTICLE]
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Michael I. Norton (2015), “Why We Think We Can’t Dance: Theory of Mind and Performance in Children”, Child Development, 82 (2), 651-658.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Michael I. Norton (2015), “Why Don’t You Want to Sing and Dance in Public?”, Scientific American, (February 24).
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen, Ronald P. Hill, and Deborah Roedder John (2014), “Poverty and Materialism: A Look at Impoverished Versus Affluent Children”, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 33 (1), 78-92.
- John, Deborah Roedder and Lan Nguyen Chaplin (2013), “Self-Brand Connections in Children”, in Identity and Consumption, (Eds.) Ruvio, Ayalla. and Belk, Russell, Routledge Publications (in press).
Awards and Affiliations
- Journal of Consumer Research, Editorial Review Board, 2014-
- Journal of Positive Psychology, Editorial Review Board, 2010-
- Research Support Grant, Villanova School of Business, 2011, 2012
- Villanova School of Business Summer Research Support, 2011, 2012
- Summer Research Fellowship, Villanova University, 2011
- Co-winner of the ACR Sheth Foundation Dissertation Competition for Public Purpose Research, 2002.
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, University of Miami, June 2001.
- Albert J. Haring Symposium Representative (Presenter), Indiana University, March 2000.
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, 2002-2003 academic year