- PhD in Marketing, University of Minnesota
- BA in Biological Basis of Behavior (Concentration: Behavioral Medicine), University of Pennsylvania
- Associate Professor of Marketing, University of Illinois-Chicago, Present
- Associate Professor of Marketing (tenured), Villanova University, 2013
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Villanova University, 2010-2013
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Arizona, 2008-2010
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003-2007
- Lecturer in Marketing, University of Minnesota, 2000-2002
- Brand Management
Research and Publications
- Children’s Consumer Behavior
- Brand Extension
- Brand Metrics
- Impression Management
- Happiness and Well-Being
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Michael I. Norton (2014), “Why We Think We Can’t Dance: Theory of Mind and Performance in Children”, Child Development, (forthcoming).
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen, Ronald P. Hill, and Deborah Roedder John (2014), “Poverty and Materialism: A Look at Impoverished Versus Affluent Children”, Journal of Public Policy
and Marketing, 33 (1), 78-92.
- Burroughs, James, Lan Nguyen Chaplin, Mario Pandelaere, Michael Norton, Nailya Ordabayeva, Alexander Gunz, and Leslie Dinauer (2013), "Using Motivation Theory to
- Develop a Transformative Consumer Research Agenda for Reducing Materialism in Society," Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 32 (1), 18-31.
- Hill, Ronald Paul, Kelly D. Martin and Lan Nguyen Chaplin (2012), “A Tale of Two Marketplaces: Consumption Restriction, Social Comparison, and Life Satisfaction”, Marketing Letters, 23 (3), 731-744.
- Cheng, Shirley, Tiffany Barnett White, and Lan Nguyen Chaplin (2012), “The Effects of Self-Brand Connections on Responses to Brand Failure: A New Look at the Consumer-Brand Relationship,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 22 (April), 280-288.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Deborah Roedder John (2010), “Interpersonal Influences on Adolescent Materialism: A New Look at the Role of Parents and Peers,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 20 (April), 176-184.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Tina M. Lowrey (2010), “The Development of Consumer-Based Consumption Constellations in Children,” Journal of Consumer Research, 36 (February), 757-777.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen, Wilson Bastos, and Tina M. Lowrey (2010), “Beyond Brands: Happy Adolescents See the Good in People,” Journal of Positive Psychology, 5 (September), 342-354.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen (2009) “Please May I Have a Bike? Better Yet, May I Have a Hug?: An Examination of Children’s and Adolescents’ Happiness,” Journal of Happiness Studies, 10 (October), 541-562.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Deborah Roedder John (2007), “Growing Up in a Material World: Age Differences in Materialism in Children and Adolescents,” Journal of Consumer Research, 34 (December), 480-493.
- Chaplin, Lan Nguyen and Deborah Roedder John (2005), “The Development of Self-Brand Connections in Children and Adolescents,” Journal of Consumer Research, 32 (June), 119-129.
- John, Deborah Roedder and Lan Nguyen Chaplin (2013), “Self-Brand Connections in Children”, in Identity and Consumption, (Eds.) Ruvio, Ayalla. and Belk, Russell, Routledge Publications (in press).
Awards and Affiliations
- Research Support Grant, Villanova School of Business, 2011, 2012
- Villanova School of Business Summer Research Support, 2011, 2012
- Summer Research Fellowship, Villanova University, 2011
- Co-winner of the ACR Sheth Foundation Dissertation Competition for Public Purpose Research, 2002.
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, University of Miami, June 2001.
- Albert J. Haring Symposium Representative (Presenter), Indiana University, March 2000.
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, 2002-2003 academic year