Department of Accounting
601 S. Morgan St., 2327 UH
- University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Business Administration, Assistant Professor, 2016–present
- University of California, Irvine, Paul Merage School of Business, Assistant Professor, 2008–2016
- Financial Reporting and Disclosure
- Capital Markets
- Financial Analysts and Valuation
- “Are Online Job Postings Informative to Investors?” with E. Gutierrez, B. Lourie, and T. Shevlin. Management Science, forthcoming.
- “Opportunity Knocks But Once: Delayed Disclosure of Financial Items in Earnings Announcements and Analyst and Investor Neglect of Earnings News,” with Y. Li and S. Teoh. Review of Accounting Studies, forthcoming.
- “Key Performance Indicators as Supplements to Earnings: Incremental informativeness, Demand Factors, Measurement Issues, and Properties of Their Forecasts” with D. Givoly, Y. Li, and B. Lourie. Review of Accounting Studies, forthcoming.
- “Valuation Implications of Unconditional Accounting Conservatism: Evidence from Analysts’ Target Prices,” with J. Kim, P. Shroff, and A. Simon. Contemporary Accounting Research, 2019, 36: 1669–1698.
- “Headline Salience, Managerial Opportunism, and Over- and Underreactions to Earnings,” with X. Huang and S. Teoh. The Accounting Review, 2018, 93: 231–255.
- “The Pricing of Firms with Expected Losses/Profits: The Role of January,” with P. Chiu and T. Shevlin. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 2018, 45: 544–571.
- “Equity Value as a Function of (eps1, eps2, dps1, bvps, beta): Concepts and Realities. Discussion of Ohlson and Johannesson,” Abacus, 2016, 52: 100–105.
- “Using Earnings Forecasts to Simultaneously Estimate Firm-Specific Cost of Equity and Long-Term Growth,” with Maria Ogneva. Review of Accounting Studies, 2011, 16: 414–457.
- “Fundamentals-Based Risk Measurement in Valuation,” with Pervin Shroff. The Accounting Review, 2009, 84: 1983–2011.
- “Visuals and Attention to Earnings News on Twitter,” with S. Teoh and S. Wu.
- “Cater to Thy Client: Analyst Responsiveness to Institutional Investor Attention,” with P. Chiu, B. Lourie, and S. Teoh.
- “Employee Turnover and Firm Performance: Large-Sample Archival Evidence,” with Q. Li, B. Lourie, and T. Shevlin.
- “Target Price Forecasts: Fundamental and Non-Fundamental Factors,” with P. Clarkson, A. Simon, and I. Tutticci.
- “Tests of Long-Term Abnormal Performance: Analysis of Power,” with P. Shroff and R. Singh.
- “Cost of Equity and Risk in Earnings Components”
2018, 2017, Dean’s Recognition for Outstanding Teaching, UIC Business
2014, Best Paper Award, CAPANA Research Conference
2014, Excellence in Teaching, Core, Full-Time MBA, University of California-Irvine
2010, Best Paper Award, Review of Accounting Studies conference
PhD in Accounting, University of Minnesota
PhD studies in Economics, University of Minnesota
MS in Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology