UIC Business Scholars
A highly selective four-year leadership and development program.
UIC Business Scholars is a selective leadership development honors program for top performing, highly motivated undergraduates. Working closely with faculty and business professionals, Business Scholars receive a solid foundation in business coupled with in-depth knowledge and technical skills to ensure they excel in the competitive world of international business.
Business Scholars are among our most engaged and accomplished students. They come from diverse backgrounds and are committed to making the most of their college journey while being strong contributors to our academic community. Approximately 94% of Business Scholars complete an internship and 100% obtain employment within 6 months of graduation. Nearly 88% of internships are paid and the average hourly wage is $18.
UIC Business Scholars are considered for scholarships and other financial awards.
Innovative Curriculum and How to Apply
Business Scholars offers special activities and cohort classes designed to develop critical thinking and leadership capabilities.
- Business Scholars-specific section for business core courses
- Simulation courses and experiential learning designed to foster leadership and management skills
- Capstone course integrating business scholarship with managerial decision making
- Business Scholars seminars led by industry experts
- Designated academic adviser
- Faculty mentor from the student’s major
- Skill-enhancing service opportunities
- Tours of Chicago-area corporations with Q & A sessions with corporate leaders
- Internships and job shadowing with leading Chicago-area companies
- Plentiful alumni networking opportunities
How to Apply
UIC Business Scholars applicants are considered to join this selective leadership program and if selected, will participate in an honors cohort and be considered for scholarships. Students interested in the Business Scholars program must apply online.
- Submit a completed Common Application along with the UIC First Year Supplement. Students can apply to the Business Scholars program with submission of their Common Application by clicking “Yes” on the “Business Scholars Program” section under the “Questions” tab.
- Submit the Business Scholars statement. This essay should be 400-500 words and tell us why you want to be a Business Scholar and why you are a good fit for this business honors program.
- Complete your Business Scholars interview. Eligible students will be invited via email to attend the interview after submission of their Business Scholars application.
If you have already submitted your UIC supplement to the Common Application without indicating that you wanted to be considered for the Business Scholars Program, please email us at email@example.com.
Meet the 2020 CME Group Foundation Scholarship Winners
Four UIC Business Scholars have been announced among the winners of the highly competitive and prestigious CME Group Foundation Scholars Program scholarship that provides support for the education of underrepresented minorities in finance, information technology, computer science, and applied mathematics.
Collegiate Association of Business Scholars
The Collegiate Association of Business Scholars (CABS) is a student organization designed specifically for Business Scholars. CABS provides Business Scholars with a range of resources, including professional and service opportunities.
Below is a list of CABS activities and programs:
- Peer mentoring program
- Social, networking and service events
- Collaboration with other student organizations
- Tutoring opportunities
Recent Guest Speakers
UIC Business alum and CEO of Ulta
Former CEO of Cedar Electronics
Joseph V. Tortorice
Founder, Chief Executive Officer and President, Deli Management, Inc.
Meet our Scholars: Krystal Aranda, Class of 2023
Since becoming a Business Scholar, I have made great friends and gained exposure to excellent resources. It is great to be surrounded by students who are as dedicated to their work as I am. That pushes me to do better. Additionally, our career coach, Ginger Lacy, helped me perfect my resume and build confidence going into the workforce.
Outings and Field Trips
Business Scholars is a rigorous program, which is why we build in plenty of fun. Each year, scholars and faculty go on outings such as Cubs and Sox baseball games, or head down the street to the United Center to watch the BlackHawks. We also get together in Student Center East for an annual bowling party. Scholars are afforded ample opportunity to build friendships among the cohort and get to know their professors, all part of graduating from UIC Business with a strong professional network.
Company visits give scholars the opportunity to make valuable industry connections as well as see the inner workings of area companies. Seeing a work environment up close and meeting those who spend their days there can help you determine the best path for your own career.
Meet our Scholars: Daniel Larios Bautista, Class of 2022
The Business Scholars Program fosters success by encouraging participants to connect with peers and faculty, and presenting an idea of what careers can look like post-graduation. This is the perfect program for students who would like a bridge between life as an undergraduate and life after college. I will use everything that I’ve learned to become the best professional I can be.