Department of Finance
Building & Room:
University Hall 2129
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Associate Professor of Finance in Hacettepe University, Turkey.
- External Evaluator and Rapporteur of Marie Curie FP7 Research Projects to European Commission in Brussels, Belgium.
- International Financial Markets
- International Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Islamic Banking and Finance
- (Forthcoming) “Managerial career concerns and the content of corporate disclosures: An analysis of the tone of earnings press releases” International Review of Financial Analysis, (with Bishara, N., Thewissen, J. and Torsin, W.)
- (Forthcoming) “Disclosure Tone Management and Labor Unions” Journal of Business Finance & Accounting (with Thewissen, J. and Torsin, W.)
- (2020) “Do Sukuk Provide Diversification Benefits to Conventional Bond Investors? Evidence from Turkey” Global Finance Journal, (with Pirgaip, B. and Karan, M.B.)
- (2018) “Avoiding Interest-Based Revenues While Constructing Shariah-Compliant Portfolios: False Negatives and False Positives” Journal of Portfolio Management, 44 (5), 136-143 (with Boudt, K and Raza, M.W.)
- (2016) “Managers Set the Tone: Equity Incentives and the Tone of Earnings Press Releases” Journal of Banking and Finance, 72, 132-147 (with Boudt, K and Thewissen, J.)
- (2016) “The Financial Reward for Environmental Performance in the Energy Sector” Energy and Environment (Forthcoming) (with Thewissen, J.)
- (2014) “Financial Flexibility, Corporate Investment and Performance: Evidence from Financial Crises”, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 42(2), 211- 250. (with C. Florackis and Ozkan, A.)
- (2010) “Consumer Credit Risk Characteristics: Understanding Income and Expense Differentials”, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 1 (46), 65-82 (with Karan, M.B.)
- (2009) “Credit Risks and Internationalization of SMEs”, Journal of Business, Economics and Management, 4(10), 361-368 (with Karan, M.B.)
- (2006) “The Role of Cash Holdings on Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivity: Evidence from a Financial Crisis Period in an Emerging Market”, Emerging Markets Review, 7 (4), 320-338. (with Florackis, C. and Ozkan, A.)
- (2006) “Ownership and Control as Determinants of Corporate Debt Maturity: A Panel Study of an Emerging Market”, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 14 (4), 312-324 (with Karan, M.B.)
- (2016) The Green Thumb in the Energy Industry: The Impact of Managerial Political Affiliation on Corporate Environmental Performance, (Peer Reviewed), Springer-Verlag (with Thewissen, J.)
- (2016) “The Financial Reward for Environmental Performance in Energy Sector, (Peer Reviewed), Springer-Verlag (with Thewissen, J.)
- (2015) “The Impact of Environmental Strengths and Concerns on the Accounting Performance of Firms in the Energy Sector” in Energy Technology and Valuation Issues, (Peer Reviewed), Springer-Verlag (with Thewissen, J.)
- (2014) “Geopolitical Market Concentration Risk of Turkish Crude Oil and Natural Gas Imports” in Perspectives in Energy, (Peer Reviewed), Springer-Verlag (with Khagleeva, I.)
- (2012) “Dynamics of Crude oil Spot and Futures Markets” in Energy Economics and Financial Markets, (Peer Reviewed), Springer-Verlag (with Khagleeva, I.)
- (2020) Editor of “Regulations in the Energy Industry: Financial, Economic and Legal Implications” Springer (with Dorsman, A. and Thewissen, J.) ISBN:978-3030322953
- (2016) Editor of “Energy and Finance: Sustainability in the Energy Industry” Springer (with Dorsman, A. and Karan, M.B.) ISBN:978-3-319-32268-1
- (2011) Editor of “Financial Aspects in Energy: The European Perspective” Springer (with Dorsman A., Westerman W. and Karan M.B.) ISBN: 978-3-642-19708-6
2017, Excellence in Teaching Award, UIC Business
2016, Silver Circle Teaching Award, UIC
2010, "Doçent" Degree, Inter University Council, Turkey
2005-06, Jean Monnet Scholarship (European Council), University of York, UK
Hacettepe University, Ph.D. , Turkey.
University of York,(Visiting PhD Student), UK.
University of Leicester, MBA in Finance, UK.
Hacettepe University, B.Sc. in Economics, Turkey.