Professor of Marketing
Department of Marketing
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Professor of Marketing, University of Illinois Chicago
- Inaugural Department Head, UIC Marketing Department
- Past Department Head, UIC Managerial Studies Department
- Past University of Illinois Presidential Fellow
- Founder, MASAZI Visitor and Welcome Centre; Accra, Ghana, West Africa
- CODESRIA Multinational Working Group Coordinator, Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa
- Global New Businesses/Global Commercialization, Monsanto, G.D. Searle (now Pfizer); Skokie, IL
- Global Marketing/Product Management-Development, Baxter Healthcare Corporation; Deerfield, IL
- Global Marketing
- Consumer Behavior
- Core/Introduction to Marketing
- Graduate and Executive Course Studies
- Global and African Market Development
- Emerging and Developing Economies
- Race, Diversity Equity & Inclusion
- Entrepreneurship and Microentrepreurship
- Consumer Behavior
- Transformative Research
- Engaged Scholarship
- Anthropological and Sociological Theories and Methods
DeBerry-Spence, B., Trujillo-Torres, L. E., Sengupta, R., Matsumoto, K., & Chen, J. (2023), “Marketing’s Role in Promoting the Common Good: A Systematic Examination and an Agenda for Future Inquiry,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 42(2), 95–114.
– Lead Article
Trujillo Torres, L. and DeBerry-Spence, B. (2023), “In the Back of the Bus: Racialized High Risk Consumption and Sickle Cell Disease,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 8(1), 8-20.
– Lead Article
DeBerry-Spence, B. and Trujillo Torres, L. (2022), “Don’t Give Us Death Like This!’ Commemorating Death in the Age of COVID-19,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 7(1), 27-38.
DeBerry-Spence, B. and Izberk-Bilgin, E. (2021), “Historicizing and Authenticating African Dress: Diaspora Double Consciousness and Narratives of Heritage and Community,” Consumption Markets & Culture, 24(2), 147-168.
Trujillo Torres, L., and DeBerry-Spence, B. (2019), “Consumer Valorization in Narratives of Traumatic Consumption Experiences,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47 (3): 516-431.
– Finalist, 2020 Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science Sheth Foundation Best Paper Award
DeBerry-Spence, B., Ekpo, A., and Hogan, D. (2019), “Mobile Phone Visual Ethnography (MpVE): Bridging Transformative Photography and Mobile Phone Ethnography,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 38 (1): 81-95.
– Winner, 2021 American Marketing Association-EBSCO Award for Responsible Research in Marketing
– Finalist, 2022 Thomas C. Kinnear Award (the most significant contribution to the understanding of marketing and public policy issues within the recent three-year time period)
– Finalist, 2023 Thomas C. Kinnear Award (the most significant contribution to the understanding of marketing and public policy issues within the recent three-year time period)
Ekpo, A., DeBerry-Spence, B., Henderson, G. R., and Cherian, J. (2018), “Narratives of technology consumption in the face of marketplace discrimination,” Marketing Letters, 29 (4): 451-463.
Associate Editor, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing
Editorial Review Board, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
2023, Finalist, Thomas C. Kinnear Award, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing
2022, Finalist, Thomas C. Kinnear Award, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing
2021, Winner, EBSCO Award for Responsible Research in Marketing, American Marketing Association
2020, Finalist, Science Sheth Foundation Best Paper Award, Journal of the Academy of Marketing
Ph.D., (Marketing) Northwestern University MBA, University of Chicago
MBA, University of Chicago
BS, University of Notre Dame