Professor, Director of Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) Graduate Studies, and Department Head
Department of Information and Decision Sciences
Building & Room:
University Hall 2408
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Director of Graduate Studies, MS Business Analytics, 2015 - Present
- Department Head, Information and Decision Sciences, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, July, 2012 - Present, (Interim Head, 2012-2015)
- Faculty Director of Undergraduate Programs, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2009-2011
- Professor (2014), Associate Professor (2003-2014), Assistant Professor (1997-2003), Information and Decision Sciences, College of Business Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Business data mining (IDS 572, IDS 472)
- Capstone Projects (IDS 507)
- Business analytics, machine learning, data mining, decision support.
- Social computing, e-business, information management
- Evolutionary computation, agent-based models, complexity, computational models in business
- Malhotra, P., S. Bhattacharyya, ““Leveraging Co-Followership Patterns on Social Media to Identify Brand Alliance Opportunities”, Journal of Marketing, forthcoming.
- Xu, M, S. Bhattacharyya, “Taste Transitivity for Collaborative Filtering: A Stochastic Network Dynamics Approach”, Decision Sciences, Dec, 2018.
- Zhang, K., S. Bhattacharyya, S. Ram, “Large-scale network analysis for online social brand advertising”, MIS Quarterly 40 (4), Issue on Transformational Issues of Big Data and Analytics in Networked Business, 2016.
- Bhattacharyya S. and A. Tafti. “Topic Modeling as a Sense-making Tool: Application to Social Media Jobs and Adoption”. 2015 Winter Conference on Business Intelligence, Salt Lake City, Utah. Feb 2015.
- Bhattacharyya, S., “Confidence in Predictions from Random Tree Ensembles”, Knowledge and Information Systems (invited issue, selected papers from IEEE International Conference on Data Mining), vol. 35, no. 2, 2013.
- Zhang, K., S. Bhattacharyya, S. Ram , “Empirical analysis of implicit brand networks on social media”, Proc 25th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social media (HT-14), Sept 2014.
- Alfaro, I., S. Bhattacharyya, M.B. Watson-Manheim. “Organizational Adoption of Social Media in the USA: A Mixed Method Approach”, Proc European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS-2013).
- Alfaro, I., Bhattacharyya, S., Highlander, J., Surakshith, S.M., Watson-Manheim, M.B., “Opening the Social Media Black Box – A Feature-Based Approach,” Proc European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS-2012), June, 2012.
- Bhattacharyya, S., S. Jha, K. Tharakunnel, C. Westland, “Data Mining for Credit Card Fraud – A Comparative Study”, Decision Support Systems, vol. 50, no. 3, 2011.
- Bhattacharyya, S. and S. Ohlsson, “How Network Structure Affects Social Creativity”, Proc 3rd IEEE International Conference on Social Computing (IEEE SocCom), October, 2011, MIT, Boston.
- Bhattacharyya, S. and S. Ohlsson, “Social Creativity as a Function of Agent Cognition and Network Properties: A Computer Model”, Social Networks, vol. 32, no. 4, 2010.
- Tharakunnel, K. and S. Bhattacharyya, “Single-Leader-Multiple-Follower Games with Boundedly Rational Agents”, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, vol. 33, no. 8, 2009.
- Mehta, K. and S. Bhattacharyya “Design, Development and Validation of an Agent-Based Model of Electronic Auctions”, Information Technology and Management, vol. 7, no. 3, 2006. [Review of this paper in ACM Computing Reviews, Nov 29th, 2006.]
- Mehta, K. and S. Bhattacharyya “Adequacy of Training Data for Evolutionary Mining of Trading Rules,” Decision Support Systems, vol. 37 no. 4, Issue on Data Mining for Financial Decision Making, 2004.
- Bhattacharyya, S. and M.D. Troutt, “Genetic Search over Probability Spaces”, European Journal of Operational Research, 144, 2003.
- Bhattacharyya, S., O.V. Pictet and G. Zumbach, “Knowledge-Intensive Genetic Discovery of Foreign Exchange Trading Models”, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 6, no. 2, 2002.
- Liu, L., S. Bhattacharyya, S. Sclove, R. Chen and W.J. Lattyak, “Data Mining on Time Series: An Illustration Using Fast-Food Restaurant Franchise Data”, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, vol. 37, no. 4, 2001.
- Bhattacharyya, S., “Direct Marketing Performance Modeling using Genetic Algorithms”, INFORMS Journal of Computing, vol. 11, no. 3, 1999.
- Bhattacharyya, S. and P. Pendharkar, “Inductive, Evolutionary, and Neural Techniques for Discrimination: A Comparative Study”, Decision Sciences, vol. 29, no. 4, 1998.
- Koehler, G.J., S. Bhattacharyya and M.D. Vose “General Cardinality Genetic Algorithms”, Evolutionary Computation, vol. 5, no. 4, 1997.
2007, 2010, 2012, Favorite MIS Professor, Liautaud Graduate School of Business, UIC
2004, Favorite MBA Professor, Liautaud Graduate School of Business, UIC
1999, 2000, 2002-08, CBA Dean's Recognition of Teaching Excellence, College of Business, UIC
1992, Grinter Graduate Fellowship, University of Florida
PhD, University of Florida, Gainesville, August, 1993. Decision and Information Sciences, College of Business Administration.
Bachelor of Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, India, 1986. Electronics and Communications Engineering