Department of Finance
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St.
Professor Farre-Mensa has teaching and research interests in corporate and entrepreneurial finance. He is particularly interested in understanding how a firm’s listing status affects its financing environment and its real and financial policies.
Prior to joining the UIC faculty in June 2019, Professor Farre-Mensa was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Northeastern University during the 2018-2019 academic year. Before that, he was as an Assistant Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School for six years, and he then spent a year working as a Senior Economist at Cornerstone Research, an economic and litigation consulting firm.
- “Private or Public Equity? The Evolving Entrepreneurial Finance Landscape,” with Michael Ewens, 2022. Annual Review of Financial Economics, Forthcoming.
- “The Deregulation of the Private Equity Markets and the Decline in IPOs,” with Michael Ewens. Review of Financial Studies 33, no. 12 (December 2020): 5463-5509. Editor’s Choice and lead article. (Published version)
- “What Is a Patent Worth? Evidence from the U.S. Patent ‘Lottery,’” with Deepak Hegde and Alexander Ljungqvist. Journal of Finance 75, no. 2 (April 2020): 639-682. (Published version)
- “Patent Trolls and Startup Employment,” with Ian Appel and Elena Simintzi. Journal of Financial Economics 133, no. 3 (September 2019): 708-725. (Published version)
- “Do Measures of Financial Constraints Measure Financial Constraints?,” with Alexander Ljungqvist. Review of Financial Studies 29, no. 2 (February 2016): 271-308. Lead article. (Published version)
- “Corporate Investment and Stock Market Listing: A Puzzle?,” with John Asker and Alexander Ljungqvist. Review of Financial Studies 28, no. 2 (February 2015): 342-390. (Published version)
2022, Referee of the Year Award, Review of Financial Studies (RFS)
Research Currently in Progress
- “Do Startup Acquisitions Affect Inventor Productivity?,” with Zack Liu and Jordan Nickerson, 2022.
- “How Prevalent Are Financial Constraints in the U.S.?,” with Alexander Ljungqvist and Enrique Schroth, 2022.
- “Financing Payouts,” with Roni Michaely and Martin Schmalz, 2021.
- “The Benefits of Selective Disclosure: Evidence from Private Firms,” 2017.