Associate Professor and Director of Master of Science in Finance (MSF) Graduate Studies
Department of Finance
Building & Room:
University Hall 2119
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Associate Professor of Finance, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2006 - present
- Visiting Associate Professor of Finance, Northwestern University, Fall 2005
- Associate Professor of Finance, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003 - 2005
- Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1997 - 2003
Institute for Quantitative Investment Research, Gradual Diffusion of Upstream and Downstream Earnings News—Implications for Stock Prices, awarded a ₤10,000 INQUIRE-UK grant, Principal Investigator
INQUIRE-UK, Style Migration and Cross-Section of Average Stock Returns, awarded a ₤9,000 INQUIRE-UK grant, Co-Principal Investigator
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, 2018, Information Diffusion of Upstream and Downstream Industry-wide Earnings Surprises and Its Implications, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 51, 751-784.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang and Rodrigo F. Malaquias, 2018, Does Individual Fund Structure Matter in Mutual Fund Performance? A Study of Exclusive Funds in Brazil, Review of Economics & Finance 12 (Lead Article), Issue 2, 1-15.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, 2015, “Cross-Market Investor Sentiment in Commodity Exchange-Traded Funds,” Credit and Capital Markets 48 (Lead Article), Issue 2, 171-20.6.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang and Gilbert Bassett, 2014, “What Does ßSMB>0 Really Mean?” Journal of Financial Research 37, 543-552.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, Sheldon Gao, and Xiaoqing Hu, 2012, “Closing and cloning in open-end mutual funds,” Journal of Banking and Finance 36, 1210-1223.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang and George Pennacchi, 2009, “Does prior performance affect a mutual fund’s choice of risk? Theory and further empirical evidence,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 44 (Lead Article), 745-775.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang Chen, 2003, “On characteristics momentum,” Journal of Behavioral Finance 4, 137-156.
- Chan, Louis K. C., Hsiu-lang Chen, and Josef Lakonishok, 2002, “On mutual fund investment styles,” Review of Financial Studies 15, 1407-1437.
- Bassett, Gilbert and Hsiu-lang Chen, 2001, “Portfolio style: Return-based attribution using quantile regression,” Empirical Economics 26, 293-305.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, Narasimhan Jegadeesh, and Russell Wermers, 2000, “The value of active mutual fund management: An examination of stockholdings and trades of fund managers,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 35, 343-368.
Service to Community
- Member, Finance Advisor Committee, Naperville School District 203, 2006-2011
- Director, Board of Directors, Good Deeds Academy NFP, 2003-2009
- Principal and Founder, Good Deeds Academy NFP (A Chinese School), 2003-2005
Director of Graduate Studies, Master of Science in Finance, University of Illinoise at Chicago
2000, Recognition for paper "On Characteristics Momentum", 7th annual academic competition at the Chicago Quantitative Alliance conference
1995-1996, Beatrice Company Fellowship and Paul M. Van Arsdell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, University of Illinois at Urbana -Champaign
1987, Master Thesis Scholarship, Institute of Securities Market Development (Taiwan)
Ph.D., Finance, 1997, University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign
M.S., Industrial Economics, 1987, National Central University, Taiwan
B.S., Applied Mathematics, 1985, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan