Associate Professor and Director of Master of Science in Finance (MSF) Graduate Studies
Department of Finance
Building & Room:
University Hall 2119
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
Office Phone Voice:
- Associate Professor of Finance, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2006 - present
- Visiting Associate Professor of Finance, Northwestern University, Fall 2005
- Associate Professor of Finance, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003 - 2005
- Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1997 - 2003
Institute for Quantitative Investment Research, Gradual Diffusion of Upstream and Downstream Earnings News—Implications for Stock Prices, awarded a ₤10,000 INQUIRE-UK grant, Principal Investigator
INQUIRE-UK, Style Migration and Cross-Section of Average Stock Returns, awarded a ₤9,000 INQUIRE-UK grant, Co-Principal Investigator
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, 2018, Information Diffusion of Upstream and Downstream Industry-wide Earnings Surprises and Its Implications, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 51, 751-784.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang and Rodrigo F. Malaquias, 2018, Does Individual Fund Structure Matter in Mutual Fund Performance? A Study of Exclusive Funds in Brazil, Review of Economics & Finance 12 (Lead Article), Issue 2, 1-15.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, 2015, “Cross-Market Investor Sentiment in Commodity Exchange-Traded Funds,” Credit and Capital Markets 48 (Lead Article), Issue 2, 171-20.6.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang and Gilbert Bassett, 2014, “What Does ßSMB>0 Really Mean?” Journal of Financial Research 37, 543-552.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, Sheldon Gao, and Xiaoqing Hu, 2012, “Closing and cloning in open-end mutual funds,” Journal of Banking and Finance 36, 1210-1223.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang and George Pennacchi, 2009, “Does prior performance affect a mutual fund’s choice of risk? Theory and further empirical evidence,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 44 (Lead Article), 745-775.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang Chen, 2003, “On characteristics momentum,” Journal of Behavioral Finance 4, 137-156.
- Chan, Louis K. C., Hsiu-lang Chen, and Josef Lakonishok, 2002, “On mutual fund investment styles,” Review of Financial Studies 15, 1407-1437.
- Bassett, Gilbert and Hsiu-lang Chen, 2001, “Portfolio style: Return-based attribution using quantile regression,” Empirical Economics 26, 293-305.
- Chen, Hsiu-lang, Narasimhan Jegadeesh, and Russell Wermers, 2000, “The value of active mutual fund management: An examination of stockholdings and trades of fund managers,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 35, 343-368.
Service to Community
- Member, Finance Advisor Committee, Naperville School District 203, 2006-2011
- Director, Board of Directors, Good Deeds Academy NFP, 2003-2009
- Principal and Founder, Good Deeds Academy NFP (A Chinese School), 2003-2005
Director of Graduate Studies, Master of Science in Finance, University of Illinoise at Chicago
2000, Recognition for paper "On Characteristics Momentum" , 7th annual academic competition at the Chicago Quantitative Alliance conference
1995-1996, Beatrice Company Fellowship and Paul M. Van Arsdell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, University of Illinois at Urbana -Champaign
1987, Master Thesis Scholarship, Institute of Securities Market Development (Taiwan)
Ph.D., Finance, 1997, University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign
M.S., Industrial Economics, 1987, National Central University
B.S., Applied Mathematics, 1985, National Chiao Tung University