Luis Arturo Lopez
Department of Finance
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St.
Dr. Luis Arturo Lopez is an Assistant Professor in the Stuart Handler Department of Real Estate in the College of Business Administration at the University of Illinois at Chicago. His research interests are in real estate finance, household finance, and mortgage markets. His recent work centers on the COVID-19 pandemic, mortgage discrimination, financial intermediation, and financial steering in real estate markets. His work has been featured in The Review of Financial Studies and Real Estate Economics. He has made appearances on the Desde Nevada show televised on Univision, the largest Hispanic news broadcaster in the United States, and the CapitalIsn’t podcast at the University of Chicago. Professor Lopez obtained his PhD in Business Administration with an emphasis in Real Estate from Penn State University. Before beginning his doctoral studies, he served as a Data Analyst for the Lied Institute for Real Estate Studies at UNLV, Realty Technician (STEP) for the Bureau of Land Management, and Real Estate agent for a boutique firm in Las Vegas. He also obtained a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in Economics from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- “Does Borrower and Broker Race Affect the Cost of Mortgage Credit?” with Brent W. Ambrose and James N. Conklin. Review of Financial Studies, 2020.
- “Asymmetric Information and Affiliations in Brokered Housing Transactions.” Real Estate Economics, 2020.
- “Trustee Affiliation and Servicer Oversight: Evidence from CMBS Markets,” with Walter D’Lima. Real Estate Economics, 2020.
PhD in Business Administration, The Pennsylvania State University, May 2019
MA in Economics, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, December 2012
BA in Economics, Minor in Political Science, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, December 2010
- American Finance Association
- American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association
- American Real Estate Society
- Financial Management Association
Research Currently in Progress
- "Risk Perception of Rare Catastrophic Events in Housing Markets: Evidence from Jet Crash Risk," with Walter D'Lima and Timothy M. Komarek (Available at SSRN; Under Review).
- "Steering Consumers to Affiliated Financial Services: Evidence from Mortgage Referrals and Cost of Credit," with Shawn McCoy and Vivek Sah (Available at SSRN).
- "Estimating Housing Rent Depreciation for Inflation Adjustments," with Jiro Yoshida (Available at SSRN).