Luis A. Lopez
Stuart Handler Department of Real Estate
Building & Room:
University Hall 2102
601 S. Morgan St.
Luis A. Lopez has been an Assistant Professor in the Stuart Handler Department of Real Estate in the College of Business Administration at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) since 2019. His work has been published in prominent academic journals, including the Review of Financial Studies, Real Estate Economics, and Regional Science and Urban Economics. Professor Lopez obtained his PhD in Business Administration with an emphasis in Real Estate from Penn State University. Dr. Lopez’s most recent research projects have explored racial discrimination in mortgage and appraisal markets, the effects of government interventions such as the Paycheck Protection Program on commercial mortgage markets, the impact of landlords’ financing decisions on evictions and the real economy, and the role of brokers in residential markets. Prior to his doctoral studies, he held the position of Data Analyst for the Lied Institute for Real Estate Studies at University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), Realty Technician (STEP) for the Bureau of Land Management, and Real Estate agent for a boutique firm in Las Vegas. He also earned a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in Economics from UNLV.
- COVID-19 and Housing Market Effects: Evidence from U.S. Shutdown Orders,” with Walter D’Lima and Archana Pradhan, Real Estate Economics, 2022, forthcoming.
- “Estimating Housing Rent Depreciation for Inflation Adjustments,” with Jiro Yoshida, Regional Science and Urban Economics, 2021, forthcoming.
- “Does Borrower and Broker Race Affect the Cost of Mortgage Credit?” with Brent W. Ambrose and James N. Conklin. Review of Financial Studies, 2021, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 790-826.
- “Asymmetric Information and Affiliations in Brokered Housing Transactions,” Real Estate Economics, 2021, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 459-492.
- “Trustee Affiliation and Servicer Oversight: Evidence from CMBS Markets,” with Walter D’Lima. Real Estate Economics, 2021, Vol. 49, No. 3, pp. 699-732.
PhD in Business Administration, The Pennsylvania State University, May 2019
MA in Economics, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, December 2012
BA in Economics, Minor in Political Science, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, December 2010
- American Finance Association
- American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association
- American Real Estate Society
- Financial Management Association
Research Currently in Progress
- "Did the Paycheck Protection Program Help Small Businesses? Evidence from Commercial Mortgage-backed Securities,'' with Sumit Agarwal, Brent W. Ambrose and Xue Xiao (Available at SSRN).
- Credit Market Spillover Effects to the Real Economy: Evidence from Rental Housing Evictions,'' with Brent W. Ambrose and Xudong An (Available at SSRN).