Shailendra (Shail) Pandit
Department of Accounting
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St.
Office Phone Voice:
- Associate Professor (with Tenure), University of Illinois at Chicago, 2015-present
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2008-2015
- Visiting Assistant Professor, The Ohio State University, 2006-2008
- Assistant Professor, Tulane University, 2004-2006
- Instructor, University of Rochester, 2003
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Intermediate Financial Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Financial Reporting
- Security Analysts
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
University of Illinois at Chicago, Dean's Summer Research Grant, 2015-2016, 2014-2015, 2013-2014
Faculty Scholarship Grant, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2013-2014, 2011-2012, 2009-2010
CBA research grant: Center for Education and Research in Financial Reporting Quality (CERFRQ), University of Illinois at Chicago, 2011-2013
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- “Supply chain relational capital and the bullwhip effect: An empirical analysis using financial disclosures”, with Jaydeep Balakrishnan, Raj Mashruwala and Rong Zhao, accepted for publication in the International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 2019.
- “Articulation based accruals”, with Ryan Casey, Feng Gao, Michael Kirschenheiter and Siyi Li, forthcoming in The Review of Accounting Studies, 2016.
- “Aggregate uncertainty and management earnings forecasts”, with Kyonghee Kim and Charles Wasley, Accounting Horizons 30(1): 157-172, 2016.
- “Do Compustat financial statement data articulate?” with Ryan Casey, Feng Gao, Michael Kirschenheiter and Siyi Li, Journal of Financial Reporting 1(1): 37-59, 2016 (Inaugural Issue).
- “Operating leases and credit assessments”, with Jennifer Altamuro, Rick Johnston and Helen Zhang, Contemporary Accounting Research 31(2): 551-580, 2014.
- “Equity method investments and sell-side analysts’ information environment”, with Sam Lee and Richard Willis, The Accounting Review 88(6): 2089-2115, 2013.
- “Security analysts, cash flow forecasts, and turnover”, with Richard Willis and Ling Zhou, International Journal of Forecasting 28(4): 874-890, 2012.
- “Information externalities in capital markets: The economic determinants of suppliers’ stock price reaction to their major customers’ information events”, with Charles Wasley and Tzachi Zach, Contemporary Accounting Research 28(4): 1304-1343, 2011.
- “The effect of R&D inputs and outputs on the relation between the uncertainty of future operating performance and R&D expenditures”, with Charles Wasley and Tzachi Zach, Journal of Accounting Auditing & Finance 26(1): 121-144, 2011.
- “Off-balance sheet leases and credit risk”, with Jennifer Altamuro, Rick Johnston and Helen Zhang, in J. Callaghan, A. Murphy and H. Qian (eds.), First International Conference on Credit Analysis and Risk Management, pp. 139-143, Chapter 13, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2012.
- “Takeover strategies”, in H. Kent Baker and Halil Kiymaz (eds.), The Art of Capital Restructuring: Creating Shareholder Value Through Mergers and Acquisitions, pp. 323–338, Chapter 18, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Kolb Series in Finance: Essential Perspectives, 2011.
- “Corporate governance and acquisitions”, FSR Forum 11(3): 7–12, 2009. (Lead article in the Special Issue on Mergers & Acquisitions).
2011-present, Faculty Fellow, Honors College , University of Illinois at Chicago
2004-2005, J.F. Jr. and Jessie Lee Seinsheimer Faculty Fellowship, Tulane University
2001-2002, John Olin Foundation Fellowship, University of Rochester
1998-2001, Graduate Fellowship, University of Rochester
PhD, Business Administration (major in Accounting and minor in Finance), University of Rochester, 2005
M.S., Applied Economics, University of Rochester, 2001
MBA, Finance, Devi Ahilya University, India, 1992
B.Engg., Electronics Engineering, Jiwaji University, India, 1989
- 2019 Financial Accounting and Reporting Section (FARS) Midyear Meeting, Seattle; Hawaii Accounting Research Conference, Honolulu
- 2018 Conference on Financial Economics and Accounting, Tulane University, New Orleans; IIM-NYU Stern India Research Conference, New York University, New York; American Accounting Association (AAA) Annual Meeting, Washington DC; 8th EIASM Conference on Current Research in Taxation, Münster, Germany; European Accounting Association Annual Congress, Milan, Italy; Indian Institute of Management, Indore, India; 1st Hawaii Accounting Research Conference, Honolulu
- 2017 European Accounting Association Annual Congress, Valencia, Spain; 11th Indian School of Business Accounting Research Conference, Hyderabad, India; 7th India Finance Conference, Bangalore, India; 2017 Annual Meeting of the Southern Finance Association, Key West, FL; Rutgers University, Newark-New Brunswick, NJ; 1st University of California at Davis Accounting Research Conference, Davis, CA; University of Denver; Iowa State University; 1st Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance Symposium, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India