Shailendra (Shail) Pandit
Department of Accounting
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Associate Professor (with Tenure), University of Illinois at Chicago, 2015-present
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2008-2015
- Visiting Assistant Professor, The Ohio State University, 2006-2008
- Assistant Professor, Tulane University, 2004-2006
- Instructor, University of Rochester, 2003
- Graduate: Introduction to Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Financial Statement Analysis, Corporate Valuation
- Undergraduate: Introduction to Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting
- Financial Reporting
- Voluntary Disclosure
- Security Analysts
- Supply Chains
Dean's Summer Research Grant, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2013-present
Faculty Scholarship Grant, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2017-2018, 2015-2016, 2014-2015, 2013-2014, 2011-2012, 2009-2010
CBA research grant: Center for Education and Research in Financial Reporting Quality (CERFRQ), University of Illinois at Chicago, 2011-2013
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- “Firm unionization and disruptions in customer relationships,” with G. Chen, and S. Judd, forthcoming in Contemporary Accounting Research (2021).
- “Measuring real activity management,” with D. Cohen, C. Wasley and T. Zach, Contemporary Accounting Research 37 (2): 1172-1198 (2020).
- “Supply chain relational capital and the bullwhip effect: An empirical analysis using financial disclosures,” with R. Zhao, R. Mashruwala, and J. Balakrishnan, International Journal of Operations and Production Management 39 (5): 658-689 (2019).
- “Articulation based accruals,” with R. Casey, F. Gao, M. Kirschenheiter and S. Li, Review of Accounting Studies 22 (1): 288-319 (2017).
- “Aggregate uncertainty and management earnings forecasts,” with K. Kim and C. Wasley, Accounting Horizons 30 (1): 157-172 (2016).
- “Do Compustat financial statement data articulate?” with R. Casey, F. Gao, M. Kirschenheiter and S. Li, Journal of Financial Reporting 1 (1): 37-59 (2016).
- “Operating leases and credit assessments,” with J. Altamuro, R. Johnston and H. Zhang, Contemporary Accounting Research 31 (2): 551-580 (2014).
- “Equity method investments and sell-side analysts’ information environment,” with S. Lee and R. Willis, The Accounting Review 88 (6): 2089-2115 (2013).
- “Security analysts, cash flow forecasts, and turnover,” with R. Willis and L. Zhou, International Journal of Forecasting 28 (4): 874-890 (2012).
- “Information externalities in capital markets: The economic determinants of suppliers’ stock price reaction to their major customers’ information events,” with C. Wasley and T. Zach, Contemporary Accounting Research 28 (4): 1304-1343 (2011).
- “The effect of R&D inputs and outputs on the relation between the uncertainty of future operating performance and R&D expenditures,” with C. Wasley and T. Zach, Journal of Accounting Auditing & Finance 26 (1): 121-144 (2011).
- “Financial statement analysis and forecasting,” with Somnath Das, Chapter 6 in Equity Markets, Valuation, and Analysis, Edited by H. Kent Baker, Greg Filbeck, and Halil, Kiymaz, John Wiley & Sons, 2020.
- “Residual income valuation,” with Somnath Das, Chapter 13 in Equity Markets, Valuation, and Analysis, Edited by H. Kent Baker, Greg Filbeck, and Halil Kiymaz, John Wiley & Sons, 2020.
- “Off-balance sheet leases and credit risk,” with Jennifer Altamuro, Rick Johnston and Helen Zhang, Chapter 13 in J. Callaghan, A. Murphy and H. Qian (eds.), First International Conference on Credit Analysis and Risk Management, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2012.
- “Takeover strategies,” in H. Kent Baker and Halil Kiymaz (eds.), Chapter 18 in The Art of Capital Restructuring: Creating Shareholder Value Through Mergers and Acquisitions, John Wiley & Sons, Kolb Series in Finance: Essential Perspectives, 2011.
- “Corporate governance and acquisitions,” FSR Forum 11(3): 7–12, 2009. (Lead article in the Special Issue on Mergers & Acquisitions).
2011-present, Faculty Fellow, Honors College, University of Illinois at Chicago
2004-2005, J.F. Jr. and Jessie Lee Seinsheimer Faculty Fellowship, Tulane University
2001-2002, John Olin Foundation Fellowship, University of Rochester
1998-2001, Graduate Fellowship, University of Rochester
Ph.D., University of Rochester, 2005 (Accounting, with minor in Finance)
M.S., University of Rochester, 2001 (Applied Economics)
MBA, University of Indore, India, 1992 (Finance)
B.Engg., Jiwaji University, India, 1989 (Electronics Engineering)
- 2019 Financial Accounting and Reporting Section (FARS) Midyear Meeting, Seattle; Hawaii Accounting Research Conference, Honolulu
- 2018 Conference on Financial Economics and Accounting, Tulane University, New Orleans; IIM-NYU Stern India Research Conference, New York University, New York; American Accounting Association (AAA) Annual Meeting, Washington DC; 8th EIASM Conference on Current Research in Taxation, Münster, Germany; European Accounting Association Annual Congress, Milan, Italy; Indian Institute of Management, Indore, India; 1st Hawaii Accounting Research Conference, Honolulu
- 2017 European Accounting Association Annual Congress, Valencia, Spain; 11th Indian School of Business Accounting Research Conference, Hyderabad, India; 7th India Finance Conference, Bangalore, India; 2017 Annual Meeting of the Southern Finance Association, Key West, FL; Rutgers University, Newark-New Brunswick, NJ; 1st University of California at Davis Accounting Research Conference, Davis, CA; University of Denver; Iowa State University; 1st Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance Symposium, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India
Research Currently in Progress
- “Are audit fees linear in accruals?”, with Ryan Casey, Feng Gao, Michael Kirschenheiter, and Siyi Li.
- “Measuring reporting quality”, with Ryan Casey, Feng Gao, Michael Kirschenheiter, and Siyi Li.
- “Information disaggregation and post-earnings announcement drift: Evidence from monthly comparable same store sales disclosures”, with Keejae Hong, and Sam Lee.- - “Are earnings announcement delays informative for peer firms?”, with Somnath Das and Alexander King.
- “Determinants and shareholder valuation of indirect tax avoidance: Evidence from a quasi-natural experiment”, with Mehul Raithatha and Stephanie Sikes.