Robert C. Liden
Professor, Coordinator of OB/HR PhD Program, and Associate Dean of PhD Programs
Department of Managerial Studies
Building & Room:
University Hall 2232
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Associate/Full Professor of Managerial Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago (1991 - present).
- Associate Dean of UIC Business Doctoral Programs (2015 - present) and Coordinator of the OB/HR Doctoral Program, (1991 - present).
- Visiting Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong (July, 2005 - 2013; June, 2015 - 2019).
- Visiting Professor, University of Toulouse, France (April or May: 2006 - 2011, 2013, 2016, 2021).
- Visiting Professor, University of Paris - Dauphine, France (May or June: 2008 - 2019).
- Visiting Professor, University of Melbourne, Australia (February, 2016, 2020).
- Hansbrough, T.K., Lord, R.G., Schyns, B., Foti, R.J., Liden, R.C., Acton, B. (in press). “Do You Remember? Rater memory systems and leadership measurement.” Leadership Quarterly.
- Chaudhry, A., Vidyarthi, P., Liden, R.C., & Wayne, S.J. (in press). “Two to tango? Implications of alignment and misalignment in leader and follower perceptions of LMX.” Journal of Business and Psychology.
- Giolito, V., Liden, R.C., van Dierendonck, D., & Cheung, G. (in press). “Servant leadership influencing store-level profit: The mediating effect of employee flourishing.” Journal of Business Ethics.
- Wu, J., Liden, R.C., Liao, C., & Wayne, S.J. (2021). “Does manager servant leadership lead to follower serving behaviors? It depends on follower self-interest.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 106, 152-167.
- Sun, J, Li, W.D., Li, Y., Liden, R.C., Li, S., & Zhang, X. (2021). “Unintended consequences of being proactive? Linking proactive personality to coworker envy, helping, and undermining, and the moderating role of prosocial motivation.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 106, 250-267.
- Sasaki, M., Ogata, Y., Morioka, N., Yonekura, Y., Yumoto, Y., Matsuura, K., Noumura, S., & Liden, R.C. (2020). “Reliability and validity of the Multidimensional Measure of Leader-Member Exchange Japanese version for staff nurses.” Journal of Nursing Management, 28, 1489-1497.
- Eva, N., Mulyadi, R., Sendjaya, S., van Dierendonck, D., & Liden, R.C. (2019). “Servant Leadership: A systematic review and call for future research.” Leadership Quarterly, 30, 111-132.
- Bauer, T.N., Perrot, S., Liden, R.C., & Erdogan, B. (2019). “Understanding the consequences of newcomer proactive behaviors: The moderating contextual role of servant leadership.” Journal of Vocational Behavior, 112, 356-368.
- Sun, J., Liden, R.C., & Ouyang, L. (2019). “Are servant leaders always appreciated? An investigation of how relational attributions influence employee feelings of gratitude and prosocial behaviors.” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 40, 528-540.
- Xu, A.J., Loi, R., Cai, Z., & Liden, R.C. (2019). “Reversing the lens: How followers influence leader-member exchange quality.” Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 92, 475-497.
- Anand, S., Hu, J., Vidyarthi, P., & Liden, R.C. (2018). “Leader-member exchange as a linking pin in the idiosyncratic deals – performance relationship in workgroups.” Leadership Quarterly, 29, 698-708.
- Liao, C., Wayne, S.J., Liden, R.C., & Meuser, J. D. (2017). “The Divergent Effects of LMX Differentiation on Individual and Group Outcomes: A Multi-level Analysis.” Leadership Quarterly, 28: 438-450.
- Liden, R.C., Anand, S., & Vidyarthi, P. (2016). “Dyadic relationships.” Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 3, 139-166.
- Meuser, J. D., Gardner, W. L., Dinh, J. E., Hu, J., Liden, R. C., & Lord, R. G. (2016). “A network analysis of leadership theory: The infancy of integration.” Journal of Management. 42, 1374-1403.
- Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., Meuser, J.D., Hu, J., Wu, J., & Liao, C. (2015).”Servant leadership: Validation of a short form of the SL-28.” Leadership Quarterly, 26, 254-269.
- Hu, J., & Liden, R. C. (2015). “Making a difference in the teamwork: Linking team prosocial motivation to team processes and effectiveness.” Academy of Management Journal, 58, 1102-1127.
- Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., Liao, C., & Meuser, J.D. (2014). “Servant leadership and serving culture: Influence on individual and unit performance.” Academy of Management Journal, 57, 1434-1452.
2018, Decennial Article Influence Award, Most influential Paper Published during 2008, Leadership Quarterly
2017, Best Paper Award, Journal of Management
2016-17, University Scholar, University of Illinois
2015, Eminent Leadership Scholar Award, Network of Leadership Scholars of the Academy of Management
Postdoctoral Research, University of Washington, 1980-81
PhD in Organizational Behavior, University of Cincinnati, 1981
MBA, University of Cincinnati, 1980
MA in Labor and Industrial Relations, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, 1977
BA in Psychology, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, 1975