Sandy J. Wayne
Professor, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, University Scholar, Faculty Director for Business Scholars, and Co-Director of the Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development (iLEAD)
Department of Managerial Studies
Building & Room:
University Hall 2233
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Professor of Management, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2003 to Present
- Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, 2014 to Present
- Director, Institute for Leadership Excellence and Development, 1996-2002; 2003 to Present
- Visiting Professor of Management, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Summers 2005 to 2010; 2012 to 2015
- Human Resource Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Developing effective relationships between employees and their managers
- Exploring leadership behaviors that enhance employee motivation and performance
- Identifying ways to increase upward mobility of women and people of color in management
- Understanding work-family balance and drivers of career success
- Sun, J., Wayne, S.J., & Liu, Y. (in press). “The Roller Coaster of Leader Affect: An Investigation of Observed Leader Affect Variability and Engagement.” Journal of Management.
- Chaudhry, A., Vidyarthi, P.R., Liden, R.C., & Wayne, S.J. (in press). “Two to Tango? Implications of Alignment and Misalignment in Leader and Follower Perceptions of LMX.” Journal of Business & Psychology.
- Wu, J., Liden, R.C., Liao, C., & Wayne, S.J. (2021). “Does Manager Servant Leadership Lead to Follower Servant Leadership? It Depends on Follower Self-Interest.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 106, 152-167.
- Liao, C., Wayne, S. J., Liden, R. C., & Meuser, J. D. (2017). “Idiosyncratic deals and individual effectiveness: The moderating role of leader-member exchange differentiation.” Leadership Quarterly, 28, 438-450.
- Wayne, S. J., Lemmon, G., Hoobler, J. M., Cheung, G. W., & Wilson, M. S. (2017). “The ripple effect: A spillover model of the detrimental impact of work–family conflict on job success.” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 38, 876-894.
- Liao, C., Wayne, S.J., & Rousseau, D. (2016). “Idiosyncratic Deals in Contemporary Organizations: A Qualitative and Meta-Analytical Review.” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37, 9-29.
- Zhong, L., Wayne, S.J., & Liden, R.C. (2016). “Job Engagement, Perceived Organizational Support, High Performance Human Resource Practices, and Cultural Value Orientations: A Cross-Level Investigation.” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37, 823-844.
- Hu, J., Wayne, S.J., Liden, R.C., Bauer, T.N., & Erdogan, B. (2016). “Self and Senior Executive Perceptions of Fit and Performance: A Time-lagged Examination of Newly-Hired Executives.” Human Relations, 69, 1259-1286
- Liu, D., Wang, S., & Wayne, S.J. (2015). “Is Being a Good Learner Enough? An Examination of the Interplay between Learning. Goal Orientation and Impression Management Tactics on Creativity.” Personnel Psychology, 68, 109-142.
- Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., Meuser, J.D., Hu, J., Wu, J., & Liao, C. (2015). “Servant Leadership: Validation of a Short Form of the SL-28.” Leadership Quarterly, 26, 254-269.
- Panaccio, A., Henderson, D.J., Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., & Cao, X. (2015). “Toward an Understanding of When and Why Servant Leadership Accounts for Employee Extra-Role Behaviors.” Journal of Business and Psychology, 30, 657-675.
- Hoobler, J.M., Lemmon, G., & Wayne, S.J. (2014). “Women’s Managerial Aspirations: An Organizational Development Perspective.” Journal of Management, 40, 703-730.
- Liden, R.C., Wayne, S.J., Liao, C., & Meuser, J.D. (2014). “Servant Leadership and Serving Culture: Influence on Individual and Unit Performance.” Academy of Management Journal, 57, 1434-1452.
- Liden, R.C., Panaccio, A., Meuser, J.D., Hu, J., & Wayne, S.J. (2014). “Servant leadership: Antecedents, processes, and outcomes.” In D.V. Day (Ed.), The Oxford handbook of leadership and organizations. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Wayne, S.J. (2013). “Leader-Member Exchange Theory.” In E.H. Kessler (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Management Theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 429-432.
- Mawritz, M.B., Mayer, D.M., Hoobler, J.M., Wayne, S.J., & Marinova, S.V. (2012). “A Trickle-Down Model of Abusive Supervision.” Personnel Psychology, 65, 325-357.
- Gavino, M.C., Wayne, S.J., & Erdogan, B. (2012). “Discretionary and Transactional Human Resource Practices and Employee Outcomes: The Role of Perceived Organizational Support.” Human Resource Management, 51, 665-686.
- Kraimer, M.L., Seibert, S.E., Wayne, S.J., Liden, R.C., & Bravo, J. (2011). “Antecedents and Outcomes of Organizational Support for Development: The Critical Role of Career Opportunities.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 485-500.
- Hoobler, J.M., Lemmon, G., & Wayne, S.J. (2011). “Women’s Underrepresentation in Upper Management: New Insights on a Persistent Problem.” Organizational Dynamics, 40, 151-156.
Member, Academy of Management, Board of Governors, 2011 - 2014
Elected Member, Society of Organizational Behavior (SOB), 2011 - present
2020, University Scholar, University of Illinois System
2019, Faculty Impact Award, UIC Business
2019, Fellow, Academy of Management
2018, Decennial Influential Article Award for 2008 article, “Servant Leadership: Development of a Multidimensional Measure and Multi-level Assessment” (Co-authors: R.C. Liden, H. Zhao, & D. Henderson), Leadership Quarterly
2010, Outstanding Doctoral Alumni Award, Texas A&M University
2003, Fellow, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
1988, S. Rains Wallace Dissertation Award, Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology
PhD in Management, Texas A&M University
MBA, Illinois State University
BS in Business Administration, Illinois State University
- Academy of Management
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology