Certificate in Operations and Supply Chain Management
Leveraging efficiencies in supply chain has become a critical necessity for organizations to compete in the global marketplace.
The UIC Business Graduate Certificate in Operations and Supply Chain Management is designed to prepare professionals to assume roles in planning and operations for global corporations, fulfilling needs in coordination of production, inventory, logistics and transportation of goods. Coursework focuses on such topics as production planning, inventory control, technology, warehouse management, quality control, supplier selection, procurement and managing supplier relationships. Courses take a case-oriented and problem solving approach imparting marketable skills in operations and supply chain management.
The certificate program consists of 16 graduate credit hours. Students may enroll in either the fall or spring semester. Courses are conducted in regular face-to-face classroom settings or periodically online or with a blending of both.
Admission Requirements and Applying
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university is the minimum requirement for admission to the certificate program. Applicants must submit the following information and documentation:
- An official copy of the baccalaureate transcript indicating the earned degree(s). A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) is required.
- International students who have not attended a US institution of higher learning for at least 2 years must submit a copy of TOEFL scores taken within the last 2 years. Minimum scores required: paper-based TOEFL = 550, computer-based TOEFL = 213, or TOEFL minimum total score of 80, with subscores of 21 (Writing), 20 (Speaking), 17 (Listening), 19 (Reading).
- A concise personal statement addressing the student’s reason for seeking admission to the certificate program.
- Current resume or curriculum vita.
- GRE or GMAT scores, recommended but not required.
Ready to apply?
Currently enrolled UIC graduate students must submit an Add/Change Application to UIC Business for consideration for the Operations and Supply Chain Management Campus Certificate. Upon notification of admission, a Change of Graduate Program Form will also be required, which will be completed with the appropriate program adviser(s).
If you are not a current UIC graduate student but do meet the requirements described above, you may submit an application to the Campus Certificate – Operations and Supply Chain Management program.
- Students admitted to UIC Campus certificates are classified as nondegree.
- Admission as a certificate student does not guarantee admission to other College of Business Administration programs.
- Students cannot transfer any coursework from another institution into the certificate.
- Students with sufficient background in any of the required courses may substitute an alternate course with the approval of the program coordinator.
- Students must attain a 3.00 grade point average (on a 4.00 point scale) to receive the certificate.
- Students who successfully complete a Campus Certificate Program receive appropriate documentation testifying to their achievement, and all student transcripts will reflect credit hours/certificates earned.
- Students may transfer credits earned in the certificate program toward the fulfillment of the Master of Science in Management Information Systems or the Master of Business Administration degree requirements, in the event they apply and are admitted as degree candidates, and subject to meeting all requirements of these programs. Those who choose to complete both the certificate and a degree program must complete concentration or specialty requirements within the degree in a field other than Operations and Supply Chain Management.
- Certificate students who choose to apply to degree programs must earn a minimum letter grade of “B” in all certificate program courses.
- Any certificate course credit transfer to degree programs must be within 5 years of completion of the course.
- Students currently enrolled in either the MBA or the MS in MIS at UIC may earn the Operations and Supply Chain Management Certificate as long as the specialty or concentration they pursue is in a field other than Operations and Supply Chain Management.
See the UIC Course Catalog for course descriptions. Equivalent courses may be approved by the IDS Department.
- IDS 532 – Operations Management [4 credits]
- IDS 552 – Supply Chain Management [4 credits]
Elective Courses (8 credits from the following)
- IDS 512 – IS Project and Program Management [4 credits]
- IDS 551 – Operations Management in Service Sector [4 credits]
- IDS 571 – Statistical Quality Control and Assurance [4 credits]
- IDS 451 – Enterprise Operations and Supply Chain Systems [4 credits]
- IDS 594 – Special Topics in Information and Decision Sciences [1-4 credits]