Michael Y. Choi
Clinical Associate Professor & Director of Master of Science in Management Information Systems (MSMIS) Graduate Studies
Department of Information and Decision Sciences
Building & Room:
601 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607
- Clinical Associate Professor of the Department of Information and Decision Sciences, Current
- Adjunct Professor, Computer Science, IIT
- Industry Professor, MSCIS, Northwestern University
- 20 years in the telecommunication industry: Nokia/Alcatel Lucent/Lucent Technologies Bell Laboratory
- Multi-years in the Defense Industry as a military scientist
- IT/IS consultant for Air-Cargo corporate
- Director of Education and VP of business in small-medium size IT company in the US
- Yonshik Choi, Modeling for Quantum Flow Control on ATM Networks and Performance Analysis, Proceedings of OPNETWORK’99, Washington DC, USA, August 30 – September 3, 1999.
- Yonshik Choi, Quantum Flow Control on ATM Networks, Proceedings of UKC on Science, Technology, Entrepreneurship, and leadership, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA, August 12 – 14, 1999.
- Yonshik Choi and Graham Campbell, Comparison of congestion controls for data services on ATM networks, Proceedings of Photonics East: SPIE International Symposium on Voice, Video, and Data Communications: Internet II: Quality of Service and Future Directions, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, September 19 – 22, 1999.
- Yonshik Choi and Graham Campbell, Congestion Controls for TCP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode Networks, Proceedings of 17th Annual AoM/IAoM International Conference on Computer Science, pg 430 – 435, San Diego, CA, USA, August 6 – 8, 1999.
- Yonshik Choi and Graham Campbell, Simulation of a DQSA T1 System with OPNET, Proceedings of OPNETWORK’99, Washington DC, USA, August 30 – September 3, 1999.
- Yonshik Choi and Graham Campbell, Congestion Controls on ATM Networks, Proceedings of KSEA Science & Technology Symposium: Computing and Telecommunication, Chicago, IL, April 23 – 25, 1998.
- Yonshik Choi & ALU Messaging team, Call Flow of Unified Messaging Systems with multimedia protocols, internal ALU Tech Document, 2003.
- Yonshik Choi, Business Oriented Data Modeling, internal Lucent Technologies Technical Document, 2004 – 2005.
- Lucent Technologies internal proprietary technical documents for data network remote management, ATM performance, e-Business architecture and automation, process, and MSG FOA/testing plan, etc, 2003 – 2018.
- Lucent NKC EMS NMS software integration processes and emergency handling process, 1999 – 2000.
- Lucent software architecture and modeling processes, National Software Center, MSG R&D, 2002.
- FOA Test Plan document for Unified Messaging products for Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint, Bell Canada/Mobility, 2005 – 2018.
- 50 Method of Procedure documents for Nokia/Alcatel Lucent Messaging R&D internal version and customer delivery releases.
- Knowledge Base Solutions of 5100 CMS, 5110 SMSC/vSMSC, UMC, LSGW, 5199 Messaging Bridge, SWD, BMC, internal and external purpose, Nokia/ALU Messaging R&D Tech Document library.
- Messaging Router, Billing System installation, testing and validation process template, Alcatel Lucent MSG R&D Technical Document.
- Cloudband vSMSC installation, configuration, and test validation process, MSG Technical Document, Nokia/Alcatel Lucent, 2017 – 2019.
- Cloudband system installation and maintenance validation process, MSG Technical Document, Nokia/Alcatel Lucent, 2017 – 2019.
Service to Community
- Mentor, Mentoring Program for High School Students for STEM major, KSEA Chicagoland chapter, 2018 - current
- Academic advisor, IIT International Professional Certificate Program, 2000 - 2019
- Committee member, BP Amoco and Alcatel Lucent Joint Diversity Event, 2015 - 2018
- Chair, KSEA National Math & Science Competition for K12 students, 2004 - 2007
- President, Naperville/Lisle Lucent Technologies Bell Labs Korean Association, 2004 - 2005
- General advisor, Korean-American Scientists & Engineers Association Midwest Chapter, 2008 - 2016
- Chapter president, KSEA Midwest Chapter, 2006 - 2007
- Chapter VP, KSEA Midwest Chapter, 2003 - 2005
- Chair, United KSA Midwest, Northwestern U, Chicago U, IIT, UIC, Roosevelt U, NIU, Columbia College
Committee member (Current), IIT International Alumni
Board of Government (Current), KSEA (Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Assoc.) Chicagoland Chapter
Board Member (2001 - 2019), Alcatel-Lucent/Nokia Naperville/Lisle 4A EBP
Chairman (2001 - 2019), Nokia Bell Labs 4A Asian-American Heritage Month Cultural Exhibition
2008, Outstanding Community Service Award, KSEA UKC08, San Diego, CA
2011, Best Technical Training Session, Alcatel Lucent Korea, Seoul, South Korea
2012, Global Top 10% Employee, Alcatel Lucent
PhD, Computer Science, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
MS, Computer Science, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
BS, Industrial Engineering, Inha University, Incheon, South Korea
Licensures and Certifications
- Lucent Network Routing & Switching/CCNA/CCNP
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt/Alcatel Lucent
- Nokia Cloudband Network System
- Lucent IT Management
- Lucent Software Development Project Management
- "Computer Science - college curriculum and future career" KSEA Career Night for STEM major undergrad/graduate students, KSEA Chicago Chapter & US-Korea forum, Northwestern University, 2018 - 2019
- "Leadership through Diversity Activities in US corporations", KSEA Professional Development Forum, Austin Texas, June 2019
- "5G Technical Trends", KSEA Professional Development Forum, Austin Texas, June 2019
- "Landing an industry job in the US", KOFST Workshop, KSEA UKC19, Chicago IL, August 2019
- "Import and Export business relation with Telecom industry in the US", Small Business Corporation USA, Schaumburg IL, 2015
- "Understanding Diversity for corporate culture", Alcatel Lucent Diversity Symposium, 2014
- "Redundant Data Depository and Restoration Architecture", Technical session, Verizon-Alcatel Lucent MSG Summit, Naperville IL, 2013 - 2018
Research Currently in Progress
- Business Data Model
- 5G mobile communications and beyond
- IoT Automation
- Cloud Computing for IT/IS Migration
- Computing Algorithms and Performance
Artistic and Professional Performances and Exhibits
- Organizing committee, KSEA UKC19 Conference, Chicago IL, August 2019
- Chair & Conference Organizer, KSEA Midwest Technical Conference, Naperville IL, December 1st, 2007